[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gov's "Extremely Vulnerable" register ignoring the disabled. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Gov's "Extremely Vulnerable" register ignoring the disabled.

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
There are TWO categories of risk from the virus.
Firstly, there's the "serious risk" list that includes people having chemotherapy etc

Then there is the second list of those with "increased risk of severe illness" which can be found on the .gov site talking about social distancing.
This covers anyone over 70, COPD, kidney disease, brochitis, heart failure etc. etc.

These lists need to be published together somewhere, and since you are not even supposed to be getting together with other family members, it's a fairly serious situation. I'm covered by this list.
I know the page as well, I had to hunt around for it, as originally I suspected the information may had just been edited/redacted out due to everything going on the past week.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ble-adults
We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

This group includes those who are:

aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
diabetes
problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
those who are pregnant

Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice about the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
Found it in my bookmarks.. oh yes I bookmark everything. Imagine how much fun I am at MDT's :)

Best wishes and stay safe
May I suggest everyone share their concerns about getting a second register created with people "at an increased risk" with the government via their contact page?

https://contactus.dhsc.gov.uk/

It would be great if we could get two registers happening, the current one with those at extremely high risk getting most priority, and those at an increase risk coming in a close second.

In the long run, I think doing that is going to help the NHS to keep those people (and their carers too of course) out of the shops and off the streets by prioritising them for deliveries and what not, it means less and less of the most high risk people are potentially getting infected if they can get things bought to them reliably.

I mean imagine people who don't have carers, or those who have carers fall ill....if someone vulnerable goes out in an attempt to do their own shopping and has a fall or something - that's strain that the NHS could do without and that could be prevented. We can only follow advice and "stay at home" if things come TO those who need it most.
AJ_1907 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm
I mean imagine people who don't have carers, or those who have carers fall ill....if someone vulnerable goes out in an attempt to do their own shopping and has a fall or something - that's strain that the NHS could do without and that could be prevented. We can only follow advice and "stay at home" if things come TO those who need it most.
I was thinking this as well, there was a very sad story in Spain about abandoned residential homes with some of the residents deceased in their beds, the staff had just gone and the military made the discovery

As dire the situation for ourselves and loved ones, we're at least vocal. There are many, many "invisible" vulnerable persons in this country and nobody can know just extensive those numbers are.. as often these people won't seek help until they are in real dire need

Its why the 1.5 million figure concerns me.. I mean rule of thumb is you take whatever figure the government churns out and double it, given we have several times that figure in unpaid carers.. and those are just for vulnerable people who actually have somebody looking after them.
My caree who passed away was housebound the last year was VERY vulnerable but zero extra help was supplied, just left to rely on friends for the extra help needed.

Another lady I looked after at a meeting was told you don't need any extra help as you have your husband living with you, I unpaid carer was round there so much, a carer thought I was her husband and living there.

The 2 above were both VERY vulnerable but neither got any more help were just left to manage.

There needs to be a massive shake up to ensure that vulnerable people are getting the extra help needed, both now and in the future.
It is assumed that people can go on the internet, ask for help, ask family, some don't have family.

People are dropping through the gaps, being missed or just ignored due to false assumptions, that they can get help, in many cases they can't and it is word of mouth by friends and neighbours, him at no 32 needs extra help, that extra help is supplied.

But not by the officials.
For years unpaid carers have been paid a pittance. Look at what's happening now, the chancellor is having a spending spree of monumental proportions, to help people who cannot go to work. I couldn't go to work for 40 years after my son was brain damaged at birth because his needs were so high no one could manage him. I lost my health in the process too. Direct Payments came in, family carers could finally be paid, only my LA refused to! Last night there was clap for cards not for us, but for paid carers nurses. etc. working during the crisis!! What about those caring for someone disable who haven't been able to go out for years, haven't had a holiday for years???
BB

What you are saying brings true.

Us carers have had restrictions for years. No holidays. No social life. Unable to work.

No one gives a damm.

Carers UK what can ge done please to make the government sit up and take note..of course they will be too busy to take note now.

I rang social services to ask if I could use my sons direct payment to pay someone to get shopping i was told i could not..i am in the vulnerable group.

Last week i could not get an online shopping slot.
I had already used a volunteeri did not feel i could ask again.

I was told by social services i could not as everyone is in the same boat.

No everyone is a carer though..are they?,

Fact is if something happens to me if I go out and catch the virus who will look after my sons.

My friend not a carer is being paid 80 %- of her wages to sit at home and do nothing.

I am paid carers allowance which is a pittance to do more work than before.

My eldest son is really struggling with this his mental health is suffering badly. Lack of proper support before this had left him fragile with little support. Things have been denied him which has left him at a low ebb.
For starters , there are 8.5 million family / kinship carers.

For one carer , assume one caree ... yes , I know some care for more than one.

If those 8.5 million ceased to care , how many carees are at immediate risk ?

Add on those living alone without a carer ... perhaps even those in institutions / care homes ?

Must now forget ... a lone carer now in isolation with their caree ... add him / her to the figure ?

Elderly ... reasonably fit but living in an isolated area , reliant on others / public transport for supplies ?

Children in poverty / food bank users ... your choice ... dismiss or add ?

All done ?

Compare your figure with the Government estimates.

What conclusion do you draw ?

UK supermarkets are to use a government database of 1.5 million vulnerable shoppers to help prioritise delivery slots for them.

10 million + ... ???
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:24 pm
There are TWO categories of risk from the virus.
Firstly, there's the "serious risk" list that includes people having chemotherapy etc

Then there is the second list of those with "increased risk of severe illness" which can be found on the .gov site talking about social distancing.
This covers anyone over 70, COPD, kidney disease, brochitis, heart failure etc. etc.

These lists need to be published together somewhere, and since you are not even supposed to be getting together with other family members, it's a fairly serious situation. I'm covered by this list.
Thanks for clarifying which lists you were referring to. I've passed this issue onto our policy team.

Michael
They've just been talking about this on This Morning. Apparently something is under way to deal with the second list, so that those people can also have priority.