[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gov's "Extremely Vulnerable" register ignoring the disabled. - Carers UK Forum

Gov's "Extremely Vulnerable" register ignoring the disabled.

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
In order to get some deliveries that are essential to my career and other disabled family members, I've been advised to register on the governments new list for "extremely vulnerable people".

Trouble is all the conditions listed, while obviously serious, are not applicable to my career, and aren't always likely to impact on mobility and the ability to get out to the shops.

For example, someone who's had an organ transplant is likely to be physically able to do a sight more than someone who has paralysis etc. Although the organ recipient would be more at risk of infection, the disabled person is just as at risk of not being able to get supplies due to being unable to get to the shops.

I know of a lot of people with disabilities (and their carers who are elderly/disabled themselves) who completely rely on home delivery services to survive on a day to day basis, not just in the wake of COVID-19, but the government list does not include people who are housebound, or their carers which will be put at risk of infection if they are forced to go to the shops.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than the local MP) who to reach out to in order to raise the alarm on how disabled/housebound folks and their carers are being pushed off the priority list and having their long established needs ignored.

Thanks.
Short of making contact with your local mutual aid group ... no.

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/44/look- ... port-40013

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d ... 1679997048

Also , check your local newspaper's web site ... many now have daily blogs detailing what's happening locally and contact details for those whom are providing help.

Unlike the Government , you will find almost all not selective as to who is considered vulnerable ... and who is not.
AJ_1907 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 am
In order to get some deliveries that are essential to my career and other disabled family members, I've been advised to register on the governments new list for "extremely vulnerable people".

Trouble is all the conditions listed, while obviously serious, are not applicable to my career, and aren't always likely to impact on mobility and the ability to get out to the shops.

For example, someone who's had an organ transplant is likely to be physically able to do a sight more than someone who has paralysis etc. Although the organ recipient would be more at risk of infection, the disabled person is just as at risk of not being able to get supplies due to being unable to get to the shops.

I know of a lot of people with disabilities (and their carers who are elderly/disabled themselves) who completely rely on home delivery services to survive on a day to day basis, not just in the wake of COVID-19, but the government list does not include people who are housebound, or their carers which will be put at risk of infection if they are forced to go to the shops.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than the local MP) who to reach out to in order to raise the alarm on how disabled/housebound folks and their carers are being pushed off the priority list and having their long established needs ignored.

Thanks.
Make contact with your local Mayor.
I agree, the .gov list doesn't have those with learning disabilities on the list, another one does.
My son has been given a list by his employer, the local council, and that lists LD on the list.

CARERS UK PLEASE TAKE NOTE!
Thanks Bill for sharing the other thread which has an article from the Guardian on mutual aid groups.

The direct link to the Mutual Aid Groups website is:
https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/

AJ, I remember from previous posts that you live close to the New Forest. I've had a quick look on the website and there look to be several mutual aid groups in this area that you could get in touch with.

Wishing you well with getting some support locally - I will also pass onto colleagues at Carers UK your points about carers of people with some disabilities and long-term conditions being excluded from the Government's list of vulnerable people.

Michael
Michael,

The key thing to address is the fact that there are two sets of criteria.
The .gov form doesn't include learning difficulties, but another one does. (I think it's the same for other disabilities too)
This needs to be sorted and resolved.
Please can you send a link to the other form you are referring to.
Hi Michael, I can't find it at the moment, but I know that No.1 son who works for the council showed it to me on his form. Will get back to you when he comes home. I remember it also mentioned people with a BMI over 40, and that isn't on the .gov list either.
Maybe worth looking to see if you have a local group on nextdoor.co.uk, a neighborhood forum.
On the downside of being on the gov't list- if you are in one in the gov'ts category of highly vulnerable but are in paid employment, you can be sent home on ssp instead of regular salary- none of your 80% salary paid to those who lose their jobs just 90 p/w and banned from earning for 12 weeks.
This has happened to a friend of mine.