[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Covid vaccine priority - Page 5 - Carers UK Forum

Covid vaccine priority

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
72 posts
I have posted a thread about elderly over 80s housebound patients not seeming to be a priority for vaccination at home even with the Oxford Vaccine rollout.
I am my dad's only carer and he lives with me. I teach for 1 1/2 days per week so earn too much to receive Carer's Allowance. Luckiky my school has let me shield at home with my dad. When I contacted our GP the receptionist said that she didn't know how to register me as his carer and was unaware about carers being moved into priority group 6. I am 53. Will I be able to ask to have my vaccine when my 84 year old dad does? If something happens to me there is no one else to care for him and I'm afraid he would be put into care until I recovered.
Carol_21011 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 am
I have posted a thread about elderly over 80s housebound patients not seeming to be a priority for vaccination at home even with the Oxford Vaccine rollout.
I am my dad's only carer and he lives with me. I teach for 1 1/2 days per week so earn too much to receive Carer's Allowance. Luckiky my school has let me shield at home with my dad. When I contacted our GP the receptionist said that she didn't know how to register me as his carer and was unaware about carers being moved into priority group 6. I am 53. Will I be able to ask to have my vaccine when my 84 year old dad does? If something happens to me there is no one else to care for him and I'm afraid he would be put into care until I recovered.
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... th/your-gp

Telling your GP
Let your GP know that you are a carer and ask if this could be registered on your medical record. All GP practices will have a carer registration form. As a carer you are entitled to a free flu vaccination and your surgery may also offer the following:

some flexibility with appointment times, for both yourself and/or the person you care for to accommodate your caring situation
agreement to share information about the condition of the person you care for (with their consent)

At the g.p. surgery as to speak with the
practice manager.
Hi Carol,
Ask to speak to the practice manager as they should know how / where to record this on the system.

If you accompany your Dad for his jab you may be able to get yours done at the same; seems to depend on local processes.

It looks like teacher unions are pushing for teachers to receive the vaccine in priority group 2, so worth keeping an eye on the TES or your union website to see updates on this.

Melly1
sunnydisposition wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm
When you husband is called make sure you tell them you are his registered carer. And that you will coming together and expected to receive the vaccination at the same time.

If the NHS ask for confirmation. They will need to contact your husband G.P. I will assume you are both at the same G.P.

I haven't heard of any unpaid carers having received the vaccine as yet.

Hopefully carers may choose to let us know here on the forum.

Latest from Carers UK

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ccine-faqs
I wanted to let everyone know, I went with my husband for his vaccination on Thursday, the gp who checked him in asked if I was his carer? I told him yes, I had taken my NHS number with me, just in case. The doctor asked if I would like the vaccine at the same time. So there we are, both had our first vaccinations.
So my advice to any carers going along is to maybe just ask.
So happy to have both had this now.
Thanks for letting us know, Marjorie.

Worth taking NHS number along then.

Have you taken paracetamol to offset any side effects?

Melly1
My 84 year old dad had his vaccine on Friday 22nd Jan. He asked about me getting the vaccine when he had his but they said no. I am his only carer, have asked for this to go on both our records with the GP and I have a letter to prove I've had Carers' Allowance. Should we ask for the vaccine for me again? The first time I mentioned Priority Group 6 fir carers the surgery didn't know what I was talking about. Is there some sort of information sheet from Carers UK explaining this which I could give to the GP?
That's a good idea.
Marjorie_2101 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 pm
sunnydisposition wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm
When you husband is called make sure you tell them you are his registered carer. And that you will coming together and expected to receive the vaccination at the same time.

If the NHS ask for confirmation. They will need to contact your husband G.P. I will assume you are both at the same G.P.

I haven't heard of any unpaid carers having received the vaccine as yet.

Hopefully carers may choose to let us know here on the forum.

Latest from Carers UK

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ccine-faqs
I wanted to let everyone know, I went with my husband for his vaccination on Thursday, the gp who checked him in asked if I was his carer? I told him yes, I had taken my NHS number with me, just in case. The doctor asked if I would like the vaccine at the same time. So there we are, both had our first vaccinations.
So my advice to any carers going along is to maybe just ask.
So happy to have both had this now.
Thanks for coming back and updated us. This will also help others.
I think carers being offered the vaccine along with the person they care for is probably influenced by age. I am under 55 and in group 8 so quite a while for me to wait yet. If a carer is nearer in age to the over 80s, over 70s or clinically vulnerable it would make sense to vaccinate them at the same time as they might only have to wait a week or so before being called as part of their age group.
Does anyone know how you will be able to tell if you should have been called when they get to group 6 or if they have missed you out because they didn't check that you were a carer?
It's interesting to see how things seem to be done differently in different vaccination sites and in different parts of the country.
Melly1 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:52 pm
Thanks for letting us know, Marjorie.

Worth taking NHS number along then.

Have you taken paracetamol to offset any side effects?

Melly1
We didn’t need any paracetamol, bit of an achy arm was all
72 posts