[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Covid vaccine priority - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Covid vaccine priority

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
72 posts
hi i am a disabled main carer looking after my disabled wife both are clinically vulnerable both between 56 and 60 yrs old i spoke to our dr today regarding health problems and she advised that we are on priority list 6 i would have thought we should have been higher on the list which is confusing
dean_2003 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:34 pm
hi i am a disabled main carer looking after my disabled wife both are clinically vulnerable both between 56 and 60 yrs old i spoke to our dr today regarding health problems and she advised that we are on priority list 6 i would have thought we should have been higher on the list which is confusing
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2020

Phase 1 – direct prevention of mortality and supporting the NHS and social care system
JCVI advises that the first priorities for the COVID-19 vaccination programme should be the prevention of mortality and the maintenance of the health and social care systems. As the risk of mortality from COVID-19 increases with age, prioritisation is primarily based on age. The order of priority for each group in the population corresponds with data on the number of individuals who would need to be vaccinated to prevent one death, estimated from UK data obtained from March to June 2020 (see reference 3):

residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
all those 75 years of age and over
all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals[footnote 1]
all those 65 years of age and over
all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
all those 60 years of age and over
all those 55 years of age and over
all those 50 years of age and over
Dean,

You can check this here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... h-55045639

Keep doing what you are doing to keep safe until you are called.

Melly1
I'm a member of a Facebook group called Needs Too, for parents of adults with special needs. It seems that there is huge confusion about where carers come in the priority list for vaccination. The problem seems to have arisen because doctors haven't understood the implications of the asterisks on the list, which give further information, pages later.
Once again, the importance of family carers hasn't been acknowledged properly.
Please CUK, can you use your influence to get someone in government to state, categorically, that

If you are a carer, then you should get vaccinated at the SAME TIME as the person you are looking after.
We all know what should happen with this government, but reality is far from what should happen.
As for the vaccine in my area i've not heard nothing from the GP or anyone, my dad he's 83, he should be getting it now, some areas have had there second dose, and again post code lottery.
I'm rolling in my 50's and claim CA, i registered with my GP as a carer for my dad in december on there website but still not sure when i will be getting mine.

I been claiming CA for some years now but only just notifed my GP of me care for my dad, just wanted to clear that up.
thanks for your reply i would have thought that people with underline condition that effect there lungs like us should be higher than list 6 and carers should be treated like nhs staff as they have to look after there loved ones thought out and have the vaccine ,
but with vaccine it seems that people are not getting both vaccines as appointments are cancelled which puts them still at risk even nhs seem only to be having 1 vaccine going back to work and catching covid i think that the time frame between should be shorter as more lives are going to be lost as 1 vaccine wont protect according to gov
Totally confused and really hope that someone at Carers UK can help us,

My mom (79) lives on her own, has mobility issues and suffers from both lymphedema and spondylitis of the spine, she receives attendance allowance and is currently awaiting her vaccination date.

I am 52, work part time and look after moms daily needs and class myself as her unpaid carer, I also hold Power of Attorney for mom.

I understand that I may well be prioritised for my vaccination as I am the only person who looks after her.

At present neither moms GP or mine are aware that I am her carer and after calling my GP today to advise them they were not aware of any priorities for carers?

I will be formally advising both GP's tomorrow via email but is this all I need to do and will I be prioritised? and if so into which Group?

I worry daily that I may be taking the virus into moms home.

Really hope someone can can help,
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what's what.

So much conflicting information issued within 24 hours!
i spoke to our sister in law yesterday and she advised because she is a foster carer that she will get a vaccine any time soon through social care and that she will be looking at hospitals for vaccine no matter how far she needs to travel .so what is the difference between a foster carer and a family carer in the way of vaccine priioity
it sounds unfair as both look after vulnerable people
I suspect they are prioritising foster carers as some will be coming into contact with multiple children if they do emergency, respite or short term placements. Those with long term placements will most likely get it at the same time. Foster children are encouraged to go to school during Lockdown so that increases their foster carers risk.

That’s my understanding, any way.

Hope they call you and your caree for the jab soon, Dean.

Melly1
72 posts