[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Covid vaccine priority - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Covid vaccine priority

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
72 posts
I'm worried about my brother getting the vaccine, he's on the ECV list but getting the flu jab this year was impossible and I don't know how to rectify it to make sure he isn't missed out for the coronavirus vaccine when it's his turn. Our GP wasn't dealing with flu this year so kept referring you to the local NHS board but they just referred you back to the GP. The NHS and (I'm assuming the GP) are aware of his condition as he received a letter from the NHS in November saying that they know there's a delay but he would receive a letter with an appointment in a few weeks for himself and any household contacts to receive a flu jab, it's now January and it still hasn't arrived. He's also been getting all the shielding letters. I managed to get one by going to a pharmacy a few miles away but definitely felt that they didn't quite believe me being eligible, maybe because i'm under 30?
I'm totally confused. I received a letter this morning about Covid vaccine priority. It indicates that "unpaid carers" will have priority but I don't know what classes as an "unpaid" carer (I'm not on a salary but I do get Carers Allowance).

I telephoned the Covid helpline to ask them and the guy didn't have a clue!

From reading this thread I see someone else has mentioned that people in receipt of Carer's Allowance will get priority?

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Many thanks
Gillian_21011 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:50 pm
I'm totally confused. I received a letter this morning about Covid vaccine priority. It indicates that "unpaid carers" will have priority but I don't know what classes as an "unpaid" carer (I'm not on a salary but I do get Carers Allowance).

From reading this thread I see someone else has mentioned that people in receipt of Carer's Allowance will get priority?

Many thanks

Read the attached link to the Government web site and quote..

This also includes those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill. ↩
sunnydisposition wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Gillian_21011 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Many thanks

Read the attached link to the Government web site and quote whats in bold ..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2020
This also includes those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill. ↩
https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campa ... ority-list

Carers UK has welcomed the inclusion of unpaid carers in the publication of new COVID vaccination advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) published yesterday (30.12.2020). This advice recommends that carers who are in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer contracted COVID should be included in Priority 6 alongside people with underlying conditions.
I’m getting really concerned about this now. I’m the main (only) carer for my 85 year old Mum who has dementia. She lives alone but I visit her every day to help with housework, shopping, paperwork etc. Basically she completely relies on me now - there are no other family members locally and she only has a couple of friends who are also both very elderly.
I also work part time and don’t get Carers Allowance.
I can see that unpaid carers can now have the vaccine as one of the priority groups, but how does this work in practice? I live a few miles away from Mum, and am registered with a different GP surgery.
How can I make sure that I get priority for the vaccine, as I assume that I won’t be able to have mine at the same time as she does as I am not the ‘responsibility’ of her GP?
Mrstiggywinkle wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:40 pm
I’m getting really concerned about this now. I’m the main (only) carer for my 85 year old Mum who has dementia. She lives alone but I visit her every day to help with housework, shopping, paperwork etc. Basically she completely relies on me now - there are no other family members locally and she only has a couple of friends who are also both very elderly.
I also work part time and don’t get Carers Allowance.
I can see that unpaid carers can now have the vaccine as one of the priority groups, but how does this work in practice? I live a few miles away from Mum, and am registered with a different GP surgery.
How can I make sure that I get priority for the vaccine, as I assume that I won’t be able to have mine at the same time as she does as I am not the ‘responsibility’ of her GP?
Just registered as Mum's carer at her G.P.'S. Ideally, Mum would normally give her consent. However, as she has dementia I'm sure her G.P. would be fine with it.
This is great news. Thanks for sharing. I am not eligible for carers allowance, due to income. However I did register for Carers credit years ago to be recorded in the system and notified our GP.

From what I have read, I will thus be in the priority 6 group, so might not get my vaccine at the same time as my parents. I did get the flu jab at the same time this year. So will just have to wait and see.

It would be interesting to hear from carers that get vaccinated to hear when they get it.

We live in England on the border with Wales and have a welsh GP. So vaccination is being done under welsh timescales. The English side where we live, seem to be getting their vaccines much quicker.
My aunt whose nearly 101 has had both her covid injections now . She has carers but I really am her main carer as I shop, clean, do her washing buy essentials take her out , talk read play cards with her, cut, perm her hair In general her mainstay.
I know carers will get the vaccine soon but not sure about myself
She comes under Wandsworth council and I come under kingston , I get carers allowance and my doctor know I am a carer is there anything else I should do? Thank you
Ideally, should have been vaccinated at the same time. Get on to your G.P.

It would be better to be also registered under you Aunt's G.P. as her carer.
72 posts