[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CORONA VIRUS EMERGENCY - CUK PLEASE NOTE! - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

CORONA VIRUS EMERGENCY - CUK PLEASE NOTE!

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
The local shop near me is low in stock. Has fresh milk and bread, but loo roll and tissues etc have been snapped up. I thought by now the panic buying may have stopped. Surely it will?
Pet66 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 pm
The local shop near me is low in stock. Has fresh milk and bread, but loo roll and tissues etc have been snapped up. I thought by now the panic buying may have stopped. Surely it will?
No because what people are doing instead is where there is more than a single person in the household that can afford it they will separately do a load of shopping each to bypass the item limit and meet up in the car park after.

And people are also driving for miles around their locale clearing out the smaller shops (premier, co-op etc) literally all the toiletries, freezer/fridge and tins emptied out along with disturbingly most of the pet food, to name a few.

While I can't justify that behaviour I feel supermarkets are equally complicit here because they were happy to take the money while they had stock and left it way too long to enforce limits... it is a positive move to add delivery slots for at risk groups, but honestly the way orders are picked on the delivery day, what is going to happen is you will be missing half of your shopping as they can't even offer substitutes. So they need to allow customers to amend orders made more than a week in advance to account for this as stock levels fluctuate through out the week.

Aldi and Lidl have operations in Italy, and had already reported that even though there was a brief decline in panic buying that overall things were still above average, so there was plenty of warnings suggesting a repeat of it here (considering we are behind Italy by about 7-10 days), its why LIDL were way ahead of the pack in announcing purchase limits.

The item limit should had been agreed by all of the brands and put in place much earlier. Its not dampened the panic buying only worsened it because now you have households who followed the "be responsible" mantra with their shopping looking at empty cupboards, which turns them into panic buyers.

Its ridiculous

There needs to be accountability at government level the constant half measures and lack of definitive leadership has been absolutely abhorrent. And I hate the way they are blatantly setting up the scientific community to take a fall for it.
My husband been on Ocado website to try and order food.

He was 5100 in queue.

A two hour wait.

He gave up!
Went to a big supermarket last night very busy, they did have toilet rolls, but NO BREAD, normally must be hundreds of loafs white brown but shelf totally empty, lots of rolls though no one wanted them.
Veg aisle, broccoli, cabbages, swedes gone, only sprouts left, proves that no one likes sprouts.
No fresh meat, no chicken kievs, anything like that all gone.

No pasta/rice, went to get some spaghetti hoops, aisle cleared, a few tins of cheap beans left, tomato sauce aisle decimated.

I can just imagine a family sitting there, spaghetti hoops on toast for dinner, why panic buy spaghetti hoops?
My son in law is a driver for ocado. He is absolutely shattered, working long hours to get food delivered. Most customers are really grateful. One or two have taken it out on him, if they haven't all that was ordered. Just doing his job, going the extra mile in more ways than one. The drivers are not allowed to put goods aside for their own needs.
Pet66 wrote:
Yes it will. Once they have filled the house, garage and lofts, panic buying will stop, unless
they all buy larger houses. :lol:
Will the sewers soon get clogged up with all that toilet roll paper going down the loos?

The water companies will soon be asking the public not to
pull the chain during the rush hour ! :lol:
Albert_1604 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:56 pm
Pet66 wrote:
Yes it will. Once they have filled the house, garage and lofts, panic buying will stop, unless
they all buy larger houses. :lol:
Will the sewers soon get clogged up with all that toilet roll paper going down the loos?

The water companies will soon be asking the public not to
pull the chain during the rush hour ! :lol:
The trouble is, thats not just tongue in cheek but a reality, as its been reported people are shoving kitchen roll, tissues and other items (wet wipes) down the loo due to the lack of toilet paper!

Best wishes and stay safe
I went to a local shop on Monday. All the aisles were empty. I may try again tomorrow as we are now out of things like low fat cheese, fresh bread, milk, eggs, coffee, jam, fruit, vegetables, flour, wine, sugar, meat, and canned fish. I also need to buy more baking powder, cooking salt and fresh yoghurt.
Where is the practical support for Carers. Looking after my Wife (70) with MS and my Mum (90) vascular dementia and Alzheimers is proving a real challenge. Can't isolate, we have 8 paid Carers a day to support Ros. Mum is kind of coping. I moved Mum in because she would not cope in isolation. Biggest issue is ensuring food. Forced to go to shops no home delivery available. So it is about managing risks. At the same time I am having cancer treatment. It can and does feel overwhelming.
Norman, have a look on your local Facebook group. If you aren't a member, then join. There are volunteers on mine, offering to do shopping for people in need. Or contact Social Services, or your local councillor.