[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK info on vaccine - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

Carers UK info on vaccine

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
153 posts
sunnydisposition wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:24 pm
I always use e consult as the system is programmed. To give you a by reply date and time.
Yes.
Seemed to work better.
Speaking to the surgery I got absolutely nowhere.
First person just said no not possible.
Second one was pretty condescending.
Much easier online.
It's taken me 2 weeks and four phone calls to get my GP surgery to put a carer flag against my NHS record. They lost 2 emails after I tried to contact them through their website contact form and then I got hit with a week long staff absence. Spoke with them again today and they didn't seem au fait with C1124 guidance at all - had to draw their attention to it as they said they hadn't vaccinated any unpaid carers via LVS and were waiting for more guidance before considering offering a vaccine to them.

I expect the co-ordinators are becoming aware that many GP surgeries are simply not acting to contact carers in Group 6 as C1124 told them they should - I eventually spoke with someone on 119 who told me that data is being moved across from GP systems to populate the programme that generates NHS vaccine invitations letters on Thursday this week and that should open up both Mass Vaccination Centres and Community Pharmacy appointments soon after provided you are correctly flagged in time by your GP practice or alternatively are in receipt of a Carer's allowance and in the system with your Local Authority. 119 will make a booking against your NHS number even if a letter hasn't been sent out provided you are eligible after that data transfer.

Do act to make sure either your GP or Local Authority is aware that you are an unpaid adult carer (referred to as "informal carer" by 119) and that they have put a flag on your NHS record to that effect (not just notes on their internal system) If you don't then your case likely won't get picked up. I appreciate they are busy but if they are not doing what Government has instructed them to do, then it seems you need to keep pushing them until they do. The sooner they do what they're supposed to, the sooner you won't have to trouble them again about it !
Kim_210212 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 pm
It's taken me 2 weeks and four phone calls to get my GP surgery to put a carer flag against my NHS record. They lost 2 emails after I tried to contact them through their website contact form and then I got hit with a week long staff absence. Spoke with them again today and they didn't seem au fait with C1124 guidance at all - had to draw their attention to it as they said they hadn't vaccinated any unpaid carers via LVS and were waiting for more guidance before considering offering a vaccine to them.

I expect the co-ordinators are becoming aware that many GP surgeries are simply not acting to contact carers in Group 6 as C1124 told them they should - I eventually spoke with someone on 119 who told me that data is being moved across from GP systems to populate the programme that generates NHS vaccine invitations letters on Thursday this week and that should open up both Mass Vaccination Centres and Community Pharmacy appointments soon after provided you are correctly flagged in time by your GP practice or alternatively are in receipt of a Carer's allowance and in the system with your Local Authority. 119 will make a booking against your NHS number even if a letter hasn't been sent out provided you are eligible after that data transfer.

Do act to make sure either your GP or Local Authority is aware that you are an unpaid adult carer (referred to as "informal carer" by 119) and that they have put a flag on your NHS record to that effect (not just notes on their internal system) If you don't then your case likely won't get picked up. I appreciate they are busy but if they are not doing what Government has instructed them to do, then it seems you need to keep pushing them until they do. The sooner they do what they're supposed to, the sooner you won't have to trouble them again about it !
Glad you got on the list Kim.
It's hard work, very stressful. I'm glad I kept fighting.
Thought of giving up last week
I know how busy they are but it doesn't excuse them.not following the system.
Lots of Carer's missing out.
Chris Brown_0438149 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Glad you got on the list Kim.
It's hard work, very stressful. I'm glad I kept fighting.
Thought of giving up last week
I know how busy they are but it doesn't excuse them.not following the system.
Lots of Carer's missing out.
Still no appointment but hopefully a step closer now. You're made to feel guilty about contacting the GP but if they set them up as gatekeepers then you have no choice and should not feel guilty about it ! It's also a catalyst for being flagged as a carer with your GP as far as other things are concerned. A lot of people have shied away from putting any pressure on them over all this, but they are meant to be there to facilitate things and if you don't involve them the system is not a mind-reader and cannot know you are now eligible for an appointment, or indeed flu vaccinations if under 50 etc. down the line.

Let's hope things now work out :)
NHS vaccine online booking ,, now accepting bookings for unpaid carers eligible for carers allowance, have just booked mine for 2 days time..
nicola_200812 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:23 am
NHS vaccine online booking ,, now accepting bookings for unpaid carers eligible for carers allowance, have just booked mine for 2 days time..
Thank you so much for this info, I've just booked mine for tomorrow after spending the past week on the phone with the Gp that had no idea that carers were included in group 6. Having to educate who's supposed to look after our health is shocking!

What a relief!

Thank you
Morning

Yes thank you for the information, mine booked eventually for Thursday on line with the NHS, after like many others, our GPs & Practices have let us down. I spoke to my GP yesterday afternoon & he didn't know Carers were in Group 6 & even after sending a letter , completing forms at the GPs, they have still not coded me as a carer. Its wrong that we have had to fight like this,

Good Luck to everyone else too in getting booked.

Judith
By age, I default to Group 9 for COVID-19 vaccination. The process to join Group 6 vaccinations as an unpaid carer for my house-bound 93 year old dad has been a complete fiasco. At first, my GP surgery said unpaid carers were not included in Group 6 and refused my request. The next day, they rang me back to say I was eligible for Group 6 and flagged with them as a carer, but I would need to go through the local council and register with them as an unpaid carer - in effect the council would be 'my employer' even though I would be unpaid. I spent over 40 mins arguing my case on the phone with the council's Adult Services and they knew nothing about how to do it. They said try 119. 119 said I could be booked in for a vaccination if I could provide some proof at the time of the vaccination e.g. letter from my dad or letter from my GP. I got a letter from my dad's GP stating I was his unpaid carer and his welfare depended upon my health. Rang 119 back - their computer system would not allow them to book my vaccination because of my age (50) being less than that for normal Group 6 ages. They might have their computer system adjusted at some point but it doesn't currently cater for me. 119 said to continue trying with GP. What a monumental, stressful waste of time! What is the point of a government directive including unpaid carers in Group 6 when nobody wants to action it?! Shambles. :mad:
I'm eligible for carer's allowance but I have not made a claim (I receive Universal Credit with the carer's element). Can I get a vaccine? Or do I need to apply for carer's allowance so that I'm 'officially' eligible?
I don't receive carers allowance, i am long term sickness, you cannot have carers allowance even though i am a carer.
I look after my disabled partner who has had a letter to get her vaccine.

I tried registering at the doctors surgery as an unpaid carer but it is nothing to do with the GP surgery.

I was looking after my friend, he died but even trying to get a flu jab at the same time was impossible.

As they were not allowed to give flu jabs to unpaid carers, but what if the unpaid carer gets ill, can't care.

Although i was legally entitled to have a flu jab, it said on a poster.

Basically i am invisable.

But i have a long term chronic illness, i need the vaccine ASAP but there isn't the flagging facility to recognise this illness and make sure i get this vaccine.
153 posts