[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK info on vaccine - Page 12 - Carers UK Forum

Carers UK info on vaccine

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
153 posts
I had a text last week that I could travel to Excel London for my first jab. My local vaccination centre is out of vaccines so currently waiting to hear from my GP. I'm on Careers Allowance so fingers crossed I get the jab soon.
C_2102 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:53 pm
They've updated the system today for to over 60s. So don't know if you need a letter first to be invited. I'm in the next age group after that maybe 2 weeks or a month away. I feel it was probably a waste for me getting flagged as a carer, as NOT ON CARERS ALLOWANCE. My local GP either doesn't have access to enough vaccine or is ignoring the protocol. I'm still concerned that younger carers in my area won't be offered the vaccine. I am waiting for another reply from my MP.

Good luck everyone! It's fine traveling for half an hour as long as you can drive, but can be stressful having to go a long way, and it's still possible to get a reaction. Even if it's just a sore arm. Also important to rest after to encourage your immune system get to work.

I'm new to the forum, how do I change the avatar and user name?
I am in similar situation but in age category 45-50. No sign of an invite yet. GP/surgery not interested - take it up with gov they say. No reply yet form MP either.

Everyone else I have asked, "it's is being worked on" so not much value in being in cohort 6 / GP register if they are moving on to cohort 7 now :(

Is there anyone in authority wiling to take ownership of this non existent prioritization? BTW in my area they were inviting over 60s to register even before NHS NBS website formally changed.

I appreciate your post knowing I am not the only one in limbo! Take care
sunnydisposition wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 pm
https://carers.org/news-and-media/news/ ... aid-carers

This information covers the process in England.

On 20 February, NHS England wrote to local leaders in charge of the vaccination programme and set out how they should identify unpaid carers in this initial phase of vaccinating those in Priority Group 6.

Carers Trust looks forward to the publication of the Standard Operating Procedure which will set out how other eligible unpaid carers will be identified, contacted and vaccinated.

Prioritisation
Unpaid carers are in Priority Group 6 in the first wave of vaccinations. The vaccination programme has now reached Priority Groups 5 and 6, meaning eligible unpaid carers should soon be receiving an invite for their vaccination.

Unpaid carers in Priority Group 6

For the Coronavirus vaccine, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) and the Public Health England (PHE) Green Book have outlined that unpaid carers eligible for the vaccine are:

“Those who are eligible for carer’s allowance, or those who are the sole or primary carer of an elderly or disabled person who is at increased risk of COVID-19 mortality and therefore clinically vulnerable”

How will I be identified?
For now, unpaid carers will be identified through two channels. You will be identified:

If you are registered as an unpaid carer with your GP. This is known as having a “Carers Flag” on your primary care records.

You are in receipt of or entitled to Carer’s Allowance. The Department for Work and Pensions will share this information with the vaccination programme.
How will I be contacted?
You will be contacted by either your local health system known as a Primary Care Network (PCN) or by the National Booking System (NBS).

They may phone you, send you a text message or write to you. You may get more than one communication. Whether it’s the PCN or NBS that contact you, and however you are contacted (phone call, text or letter) you will be provided will all relevant details about how to book an appointment as well as information on the vaccination.

It is up to you to book the appointment. To book the appointment as quickly as possible, you should find out what your NHS number is.
Hi i live in wales ,im 57 ,ive been my mums carer almost 3 years.i claim carers allowance was not registered with gp but after reading on here ive filled in the form and returned it to my surgery .Had a phone call from my surgery today i forgot to tick part b 🤭it was asking if i wanted information, the receptionist ticked box for me save sending it bk to me.
I asked about the vaccine im 57 ,i asked if id get it earlier as im a carer she said it doesn't work like that it depends on if i tick certain questions ? Regarding my mums care ??im confused
Susan_210212345678910111213141516 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi i live in wales ,im 57 ,ive been my mums carer almost 3 years.i claim carers allowance was not registered with gp but after reading on here ive filled in the form and returned it to my surgery .Had a phone call from my surgery today i forgot to tick part b 🤭it was asking if i wanted information, the receptionist ticked box for me save sending it bk to me.
I asked about the vaccine im 57 ,i asked if id get it earlier as im a carer she said it doesn't work like that it depends on if i tick certain questions ? Regarding my mums care ??im confused
Only the sole or main carer is eligible, so multiple family members sharing the care load between them can't all jump in on this priorotization initiative. The person you are caring for would need to be at risk if you were to get ill, i.e. presumably the Care system would have to come into play for the period of any likely illness to step into your shoes because that person would be significantly at risk if left on their own. If the care you provide is minor, they may take the view it's insufficient for you to be regarded as eligible for inclusion in Group 6 so I'm guessing that may be what they are referring to.

I know someone in NI who works at a vaccination centre who has told me they have tightened up on unpaid carers self-referring through the National Booking System because of quite a few known cases of abuse. Unfortunately, I think this is one of the reasons for the current wall of resistance many eligible people not receiving Carer's Allowance are facing at the moment. Loads of GPs have supply issues and they're prioritizing those in Group 6 with clinical vulnerability over unpaid carers.

I believe you can simply book in using the National Booking Service if you are in receipt of a Carer's Allowance and can evidence that on arrival at registration.

Follow the link here to book in : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/
Susan_210212345678910111213141516 doesn't matter you claim carers allowance you can book a vaccine on the nhs website now, thats if you can find a vaccine hub local to you or if you are willing to travel for it.
Kim_210212 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:00 pm

I believe you can simply book in using the National Booking Service if you are in receipt of a Carer's Allowance and can evidence that on arrival at registration.

Follow the link here to book in : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/
I live in Wales the link applies to england ?
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ccine-faqs and was was updated on 1st March .

Melly1
Kim_210212 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Only the sole or main carer is eligible, so multiple family members sharing the care load between them can't all jump in on this priorotization initiative. The person you are caring for would need to be at risk if you were to get ill, i.e. presumably the Care system would have to come into play for the period of any likely illness to step into your shoes because that person would be significantly at risk if left on their own. If the care you provide is minor, they may take the view it's insufficient for you to be regarded as eligible for inclusion in Group 6 so I'm guessing that may be what they are referring to.

I know someone in NI who works at a vaccination centre who has told me they have tightened up on unpaid carers self-referring through the National Booking System because of quite a few known cases of abuse. Unfortunately, I think this is one of the reasons for the current wall of resistance many eligible people not receiving Carer's Allowance are facing at the moment. Loads of GPs have supply issues and they're prioritizing those in Group 6 with clinical vulnerability over unpaid carers.
Im my mothers only carer, i receive cares allowance.the care i provide is more than minor .?
Susan,
have you read this?
Prioritisation for vaccination

In deciding which unpaid carers should be prioritised for vaccination, there are three important factors to consider:

The vulnerability of the person being cared for:

is 65 years old and over (group 5)
is deemed extremely clinically vulnerable (group 4)
has a defined underlying health condition including mental illness (qualifying as group 6)
is a child under 16 with complex medical needs/ severe neuro-disabilities
The nature of the care provided to those 16 and over:
includes, but is not restricted to, helping with eating, bathing, shaving, managing continence, dressing and walking. It may include intervening in challenging or risky behaviour. It may include providing significant levels of support and supervision at home or in the community and where social distancing is not possible

The unpaid carer is the sole or primary carer:

To be prioritised for vaccination, an unpaid carer should satisfy all three factors.

Eligibility for prioritisation is not dependant on receipt of carer’s allowance, membership of a carers’ organisation or being known to social services.

The Local Health Boards working with their respective Directors of Social Services have ultimate responsibility for identifying unpaid carers. There is a recognition of the need for discretion, but that discretion should be discharged within the parameters set out in this guidance.
https://gov.wales/covid-19-vaccination- ... tion-63668
153 posts