[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK info on vaccine - Page 11 - Carers UK Forum

Carers UK info on vaccine

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
153 posts
This isn't to do with compassion, it's to do what they are supposed to be doing anyhow. The Protocol, towards the end, about page 9 from memory, talks about actively seeking out carers!!
1st jab done today via "Unpaid Carer-flagged at GP" route, at one of their weekly clinics. 7 hours' round trip drive to my own practice because they wouldn't sort it at a Mass Vaccination Centre in Devon where I'm caring, or by registering as a temporary patient here, as the systems can't seem to talk to each other. Huge relief of course and just grateful to have had it done... but winding up doing that in the middle of a National lockdown in order to get a jab seems totally bonkers.

I hope all this triggers some sort of improved systems integration in the NHS and between the vaccination booking service and GP records (and between related services/bodies e.g. local authorities and the NHS), because what's there right now really doesn't cope well with the current predicament and needs in terms of both patients and delivering on Government aims and policies. If Covid vaccinations are likely here to stay, there's a great deal more that needs to be done !
Agreed Kim

Sorry for the time you spent unnecessarily having to travel.

Does that also mean for your second jap you will have to do the same trip.
sunnydisposition wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 pm
Agreed Kim

Sorry for the time you spent unnecessarily having to travel.

Does that also mean for your second jap you will have to do the same trip.
As things stand, unfortunately yes. They haven't scheduled 2nd dose jabs yet - I think the GPs are all doing their own thing on that. I intend to deal with 119 in a few weeks to explain the situation and see whether they are able to schedule me in for a 2nd jab in due course. People do move after all. I might also now try registering as a temporary patient with my mum's GP and see if they will sort it. Because I had the Oxford vaccine and not Pfizer I reckon it willl be much easier to sort something at another location for the second round. We shall see !!!
Hi I'm new on this forum. I help my elderly Mum who is at serious risk of falls, if she goes out alone or sometimes in her apartment she has a spinal injury which is getting worse. Had an operation to help with pain but is in constant pain. Also recovered from cancer about 10 years ago. I have been trying to keep her sane, and getting her food delivered all through the pandemic. I helped her move close to us after her 2nd husband, my step Dad died from lung cancer. She is in a retirement complex without assisted living.

I have written to my MP, I suggest others do the same, as I feel that it would be so much easier if we could book ourselves for a vaccination on the National booking system. I have been told that they are in touch with the Department of health. My GP surgery doesn't seem to be following protocol. It's not the same in all areas. They only had one vaccination clinic a month when they started. They are all partners, no practice manager, so I've only been able to speak to the receptionist, twice. she said they were working through the age range downwards, and were currently vaccination the over 65s. I have been placed in cohort 6, I am also in cohort 8 or 9. Whole thing causes me stress after caring for my step Dad at home when he died, and losing my Dad when I was young.

I am not on carers allowance, because I am also self employed, but don't work at present, because I'm deemed as close contact. She gets quite stressed about any changes, and forgetful too. The carers allowance system is complicated.
Hello All,
I've had my vaccine letter. A quick look at the on line booking system tells me I need to travel 20 miles, even though I can see my local vaccination hub from my kitchen window!
When I rang my GPs surgery I have been informed there is a problem with vaccine supply to our town and no appointments are being made for at least a week.
So near and yet do far!
Gin-face wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:36 pm
Hello All,
I've had my vaccine letter. A quick look at the on line booking system tells me I need to travel 20 miles, even though I can see my local vaccination hub from my kitchen window!
When I rang my GPs surgery I have been informed there is a problem with vaccine supply to our town and no appointments are being made for at least a week.
So near and yet do far!
If you really want it sooner rather than later, book in and travel the 20 miles. You can book the 2nd dose at a different centre (hopefully the one nearby) when you do it online - doesn't have to be at the same place. I had to travel well over 200 miles for mine !
Yes i am also having the same issue here, had a NHS letter, wanted to book in for the vaccine, just nothing near me, well for the local vaccine hub, just not enough volume.
They've updated the system today for to over 60s. So don't know if you need a letter first to be invited. I'm in the next age group after that maybe 2 weeks or a month away. I feel it was probably a waste for me getting flagged as a carer, as NOT ON CARERS ALLOWANCE. My local GP either doesn't have access to enough vaccine or is ignoring the protocol. I'm still concerned that younger carers in my area won't be offered the vaccine. I am waiting for another reply from my MP.

Good luck everyone! It's fine travelling for half an hour as long as you can drive, but can be stressful having to go a long way, and it's still possible to get a reaction. Even if it's just a sore arm. Also important to rest after to encourage your immune system get to work.

I'm new to the forum, how do I change the avatar and user name?
Didn't mean to shout not on carers allowance, my laptop didn't accept bold writing!!
153 posts