[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers UK info on vaccine - Page 13 - Carers UK Forum

Carers UK info on vaccine

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
152 posts
Melly1 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:15 pm
Susan,
have you read this?
Prioritisation for vaccination

In deciding which unpaid carers should be prioritised for vaccination, there are three important factors to consider:

The vulnerability of the person being cared for:

is 65 years old and over (group 5)
is deemed extremely clinically vulnerable (group 4)
has a defined underlying health condition including mental illness (qualifying as group 6)
is a child under 16 with complex medical needs/ severe neuro-disabilities
The nature of the care provided to those 16 and over:
includes, but is not restricted to, helping with eating, bathing, shaving, managing continence, dressing and walking. It may include intervening in challenging or risky behaviour. It may include providing significant levels of support and supervision at home or in the community and where social distancing is not possible

The unpaid carer is the sole or primary carer:

To be prioritised for vaccination, an unpaid carer should satisfy all three factors.

Eligibility for prioritisation is not dependant on receipt of carer’s allowance, membership of a carers’ organisation or being known to social services.

The Local Health Boards working with their respective Directors of Social Services have ultimate responsibility for identifying unpaid carers. There is a recognition of the need for discretion, but that discretion should be discharged within the parameters set out in this guidance.
https://gov.wales/covid-19-vaccination- ... tion-63668
Hi Melly yes ive read it ?Looks like i will just have to wait my turn unless the government provides the form online for carers ??
I think there's something fishy going on here. I'm 53 and had my vaccine as a carer for my 84 year old dad two weeks ago after quoting C1124 published on 13th Feb to the receptionist at my GP surgery. I think the advice in this document has either been quietly changed or is being ignored. There was no distinction between paid or unpaid carers. The criteria was how much care you gave and if the person you care for would be in danger without your care. Your age as a carer didn't matter so long as you were over 16. Many people on this forum haven't been able to get a vaccine which is morally wrong and goes against the order of the JCVI priority list. If your GP knows you are a carer they should be fighting for you to have a vaccine, ideally with them or if not, somewhere local.
I've written to my MP and sent questions into the BBC, ITV and Sky News websites to raise awareness of this issue. It seems like they will only be interested if we can find a famous person who cares for someone and who is willing to have a moan to the media. There are also lots of Carer organisations. Could they not get together and speak up more vigorously about this issue?
Susan_210212345678910111213141516 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi Melly yes ive read it ?Looks like i will just have to wait my turn unless the government provides the form online for carers ??
Susan,
I posted the info because you wrote:

Susan_210212345678910111213141516 :
Hi i live in wales

I asked about the vaccine im 57 ,i asked if id get it earlier as im a carer she said it doesn't work like that it depends on if i tick certain questions ? Regarding my mums care ??im confused

The info is specific to Wales. It explains they are prioritising which unpaid carers are having the vaccine first and how they are doing this. I thought this might help clear up your confusion re the questions on the form.

Melly1
I've just seen Ruthie Henshall (West End musicals) having a moan (rightly so) on BBC Breakfast about care home visits. This proves my point that having someone 'famous' involved helps raise an issue. Last week it was Jo Whiley and her disabled sister, again another important concern raised and addressed.
Still bad around here for getting a vaccine from my local hub been days now with no slots at all, well 1 or so pop up through the days may be its a cancelled slot but soon as i pick it up its gone.
Carol_21011 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm
I think there's something fishy going on here. I'm 53 and had my vaccine as a carer for my 84 year old dad two weeks ago after quoting C1124 published on 13th Feb to the receptionist at my GP surgery. I think the advice in this document has either been quietly changed or is being ignored. There was no distinction between paid or unpaid carers. The criteria was how much care you gave and if the person you care for would be in danger without your care. Your age as a carer didn't matter so long as you were over 16. Many people on this forum haven't been able to get a vaccine which is morally wrong and goes against the order of the JCVI priority list. If your GP knows you are a carer they should be fighting for you to have a vaccine, ideally with them or if not, somewhere local.
I've written to my MP and sent questions into the BBC, ITV and Sky News websites to raise awareness of this issue. It seems like they will only be interested if we can find a famous person who cares for someone and who is willing to have a moan to the media. There are also lots of Carer organisations. Could they not get together and speak up more vigorously about this issue?
I think you have hit the nail on the head with these points above. The guidance gave local areas the right to "flex" rollout to Group 6 which I assume includes subjective prioritization. We know some areas have had tight supply and I would hazard GPs are making subjective assessments as to whether to push forward those with identifiable medical condition over informal carers. Being medics, it is unsurprising if they have elected to do so.

The addition of unpaid carers to Group 6 was an addendum in response to pressure from Carers organizations, but the challenges of identifying all eligible people fitting the criteria (given so few are known to either GPs or Local Authorities) has clearly caused major issues. Some have taken the easy way out it seems by taking the view that in order not to discriminate against those who they can't easily identify they will pass over those who they can until everyone can be treated equally. They clearly feared a deluge of people coming forward to be screened for eligibility which neither Local Authorities nor GPs felt they had the capacity to absorb. The cynical view would also entertain the notion that Local Authorities did not relish the prospect of identifying more people eligible for resources which had not been allowed for in budgets, whether financial or in terms of human resources.

The JCVI aims and objectives appear to have been widely missed and the whole issue is being suppressed in the media. Perhaps they fear if it is blown onto the table too hard, Govt will simply U-turn or make the definition of eligible carers much more tight than it is now. However, for those who have not been able to prevail with their GPs, if this doesn't change in the very near future it may well become a case of having nothing to lose if that happens and at least people will know where they stand (and GPs / booking service able to implement the policy effectively).
Well i managed to get a booking for a vaccine next tuesday morning and the second one for the very end of may, at my local vaccine hub lets hope bus is on time.
As of the 2nd March my surgery is now on Cohort 7.
They have added more flexibility to booking the vaccine now, so hope that's an improvement for more carers. I think a letter or carers card will probably be needed as proof. My MP said he was going to put the situation to the Department of health last week.
I have been told that we had no vaccine deliveries for the past two weeks in our area, they were still waiting this week. Odd as our local MP got his vaccination and photo in our paper.
152 posts