[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bringing Dad home? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Bringing Dad home?

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
Lindi wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:18 pm
Hi I visited my Brother on Thurs (garden visit 15 mins) and the Care Assistant said all visits had been cancelled the day before because of weather, I said what happens to visits in the Winter? She said who knows we might go back to no visits if the Government advises :( She wasn't really allowed to speak about it as I had to sign a disclaimer not to ask questions about Covid 19 or Residents Health Issues
This sounds very dodgy to me. Every time I visit I ask questions at Mum’s home and they always answer them honestly.

As everyone knows those of us with parents in care homes had many months with no visits whatsoever. We are still not allowed inside the home. At Mum’s home we either meet outside once a week (2 family members) at an appointed time for 20 mins or inside a separate building beside the care home. If that building goes back into use (it’s a day centre) then they are going to have to think again which I am dreading because it will then go back down to 1 visitor.
Hugs wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 pm
Dad is locked down in his care home.

We have been very lucky judging by other posts in that we have been able to visit in the garden several times a week.
However I'm concerned that once the colder weather comes in Dad will only be allowed one visit a week as this will need to be indoors.
Therefore I'm questioning if we could bring him home for the winter.

Has any one else done this because of being locked down?
How have you found it?

I know it's not going to be easy but I can't keep Dad locked up for the winter with one visit a week.

What are your thoughts?
I fully understand where you’re coming from. Even though I see my Mum once a week it’s only 20 mins and it goes SO quickly. We are socially distanced so we can’t do things together that we normally would like looking at family photos, reading poems, looking at knitting magazines etc.

I miss giving her a hug or holding her hand or brushing her hair, painting her nails etc.

I was very down the other day because she is 96 and I dread her dying all alone without me. I also got to wondering the same thing as you but there is no way she could move in with us as we have no spare bedroom and she couldn’t manage our stairs anyway. I even daydreamed about renting one of those big caravans/park homes on a site somewhere and us moving in together. However I also have a husband, son and Daughter to consider.
Hello, Hugs. At a care home where I have a relative, and garden visits are underway, a lounge near the main entrance is being converted into an indoor visiting centre. It will enable visits under regulated and sanitized conditions without contact with the rest of the home. You could enquire whether the care home where your dad is has similar plans. I imagine all care homes will be trying to arrange something like this because they all want to allow visiting in some form.

I think that if your dad were to come home he would be disorientated and this would create more problems than it might cure. He is there because that is the best place.