[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Boris to discuss easing lockdown as he returns to No 10 - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Boris to discuss easing lockdown as he returns to No 10

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
Denis

I believe this forum is and should be a place where people can say exactly how they feel.
Thank you Cloudygal, for clarifying this conversation. And of course also those with the Covid-19 symptoms should also stay at home.
Exactly so, Cloudygal. I have no wish to censor anyone. Readers of this site will judge for themselves whether or not contributions are helpful to carers. If something is unacceptable and needs to be censored, that is for the moderators to decide.
I respect your opinion and as far as shielding goes I can completely emphasize on that front as well, as like yourself our household as with many other readers are having to shield due to vulnerable occupants who would suffer a poor outcome if they caught the disease because of their health. It makes a difficult existence almost untenable.

Forget depression, it is heartbreaking/soul destroying to have to softly explain to a person who is severely disabled, confined to their wheelchair/bed, who has a intellectual/learning disability and is unable to recognize danger (who otherwise, in normal times has a balanced/active lifestyle where they can engage their own interests which I fought years for on their behalf) why they can't go about their daily routine, or see people outside of the household they care about, relatives, parent in care home, etc.

Its worse having to explain why even though a loved one has been identified as having an infection (non-covoid) which not properly dealt with could kill them, because they can't communicate effectively they aren't considered important enough by the health service for any sort of meaningful treatment, that I can't even get a doctor or paramedic out to them. I will never live that down, I'm thankful they managed to eventually turn a corner but they should not had suffered for so long as they did.. and instead of weeks it will take some months now for them to get back to their normal self as it does with these things

I do not think people should be made to feel they cannot articulate or otherwise express an opinion out of fear of recourse be it censorship in this instance, just because it is not a popular one to express or does not suit the narrative.

in fact what I do personally believe is that censorship itself has played a significant role in fanning the flames of this vile disease from its origins across the world, while governments and so called leaders bickered over how best to control the flow of information for little more than stupid pride, at a terrible cost of human lives, unseen in peace time for a century.

When I see a highlight of an MP who happens to be a general practitioner bring up the subject of inadequate PPE, only to be told to "watch their tone" by none other than the serving health sec. himself, I think there is just cause to be concerned.

As much as you believe in light of the circumstances the government has adequately performed, I believe the opposite, that at an appropriate time (obviously not making the current situation even worse), there must be an inquiry and a degree of accountability for mistakes that have been made.

I don't expect that to be a populist statement to make, but I would never bring up censoring just because I read something which did not agree with my own views. Whats the use in having this wonderful technology to talk to anyone, anywhere when we're not willing to entertain the discussions/subject matter which need to be had.

Such as, even though things are said to be improving, an alarming number of councils using the emergency powers government set in the corona virus act, to absolve themselves of duties under the care act.. which I promise you even when we come out of the other side of this horrible situation (and we will, we're too stubborn not to!) will have a negative and long lasting impact on much of our community along with many others.

Best wishes and stay safe
On the one hand I have moments when I feel like a caged lion prowling round the cage, desperate to escape, but I'm the other hand I know if I got the virus my chances of survival would be poor. I love the fact that our usually busy road is quiet. I love hearing the birdsong, hate not being able to pop into my favourite shops, often the charity shops looking for sewing bargains. Most of all I hate not being able to see my son, to give him a big hug, to have him home and be a proper mum, doing the things we like, going down the market, having coffee in the church cafe where two ladies always have a big hello for him, they've known him over 30 years. On the other hand I'm grateful for the care he has, but sad he is alone for 19 hours a day. So much death, misery, suffering right across the world because of something that happened in China?!?!
I have mixed feelings too. Feeling trapped, in a way, not able to go where I want, when I want. Miss my family and the affection from them. Enjoying the quieter surroundings and slower pace of life. I miss hubby, but am glad there is no anxiety of not being able to visit the nursing home or hospital, wondering how he really is. When I see the heartbreak people are going through, I count my blessings. Am doing as instructed by the government, to keep my family and friends as safe as possible, and myself. My great Granddaughter is now using her high chair. Have things to look forward to, including a family get together, where she will be joining us at the table. Little things, that will be even more sweeter for the wait. I personally feel adjusting back to normality may take some doing.
Honey Badger

I am very much on the same page as you

To say I am extremely disappointed with the government's handling off this would be a massive understatement.

I also fear that we will suffer cuts as time goes on..the money has to come from somewhere...why not the vulnerable.
Thanks, Honey Badger, for your carefully considered comments. I respect your opinion too and certainly do not disagree with any of the points you make.

Just as Vera Lynn lifted spirits during wartime (and we are probably going to hear a lot about that today - VE Day anniversary) if we carers can adopt a cheerful and stoic persona, then this enhances our dealings with our carees and their problems.

Unfortunately, when I acknowledged some of the problems facing the government, and mentioned one or two positive points about its measures, some readers have seen this as my taking side with the government, though this is not the prevalent viewpoint.

Let me say that, in common with pretty well everyone on this forum, I could give you a long list of things I think various governments have messed up over the years. Accountability will come at the next general election when, if we don't like what this government has done, we have the chance to put someone else in charge.

But OK, I get the message. If contributors think that it is appropriate in this forum to criticise the government and generally say what they please, so be it. It's a free country. There may be a purpose behind such discussions, even if we don't all see it.

I did not say that I agreed with censorship. I made an observation of a declining morale within this forum during this lockdown. If some have inferred that as my saying that I felt some posts were inappropriate, then I am sorry I did not make myself clear.

It is right that this forum has moderators who will weed out inappropriate comments, e.g. comments that may be perceived as hurtful or insulting, or salespeople masquerading as carers, trying to peddle insalubrious products. There is rightfully a strong moral objection to politicians suppressing information in the interests of their own political gains.

I hope I have made my position clear. Best wishes as we continue to cope with this difficult situation. We'll get through it.
Denis_1610 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:46 am
Hello Heather. My disabled wife is fed up with being cooped up in the house and I plan to take her for a drive. It will be to somewhere where there are no people nearby. If other people arrive we'll move on. We'll stay in the car. She cannot really take significant physical exercise but we would argue that seeing the sights and listening to the birdsong is a form or mental rehabilitation. I think this is self-isolation to every degree in the spiritual sense, if not exactly as drafted by the law. . .
It happened yesterday. I took my wife for a drive in the country. Time well spent! She is greatly refreshed.
Welsh ministers met twice yesterday to discuss the current lockdown and we should hear the results of those discussion from the First Minister for Wales later today. We've been told that there may be some changes, but also that said changes will be minor as they're going to be taking a very cautious approach to getting the country back up and running over the next several months.