About Carers Wales
Carers Wales wants a society that respects, values and supports carers.
Our mission is to make life better for carers.
- We give expert advice, information and support.
- We connect carers so no-one has to care alone.
- We campaign together for lasting change.
- We innovate to find new ways to reach and support carers.
Carers are at the heart of everything we do.
- open and approachable
- inclusive, respecting the diversity of each other’s caring experiences
- independent and tenacious in advocating for carers
- expert and innovative
- committed to working with others.
Why we're here
Across Wales there are 370,000 carers who, unpaid support a loved one who is older, disabled or seriously ill.
Carers across Wales provide 96% of care and as our loved ones are living longer with illness or disability, more and more of us will be looking after them.
Whether you care around-the-clock or for a few hours a week, in your own home or for someone at the other end of a motorway – caring can have a huge effect on our lives and our plans.
Caring is such an important part of life. It’s simply part of being human. Carers are holding families together, enabling loved ones to get the most out of life, making an enormous contribution to society and saving the economy billions of pounds.
Yet many of us are stretched to the limit – juggling care with work and family life, or even struggling with poor health ourselves.
Every day 6,000 people become carers. Many don’t know how or where to get help. It can be frightening and very lonely.
For some it’s sudden: someone you love is taken ill or has an accident, your child is born with a disability. For others, caring creeps up unnoticed: your parents can’t manage on their own any longer, or maybe your partner’s health gets gradually worse.
Looking after someone can be tough, but you’re not on your own. Carers Wales is here:
- to listen
- to give you expert information and advice that’s tailored to your situation
- to champion your rights
- and support you in finding new ways to manage at home, at work, or wherever you are.
Carers Wales is part of Carers UK. We are always looking for new ways to make carers' lives better