Carer Positive Employers Award
Carers Scotland, on behalf of the Scottish Government is operating an award scheme to recognise employers in Scotland who support carers in their workforce.
The aim of Carer Positive is to:
- Raise awareness of the growing numbers of people who juggle work and caring responsibilities
- Encourage employers to understand the business case for supporting carers in the workplace
- Encourage and provide recognition to those employers who currently have, or who develop policies and practices which support carers in their workforce
In addition to being recognised as good practice in employment terms, this also responds to changes in the population which will result in many more people of working age having caring responsibilities.
Around 1 in 7 people in the workforce will currently be caring for someone who is ill, frail or has a disability, and this number is forecast to rise significantly as the population gets older.
Supporting carers in the workplace is important to both families and employers. Increasingly recognised as a key workforce management issue, ‘carer friendly’ policies and practices can deliver benefits in terms of recruitment and retention, equality and diversity, and employee health and well-being.
Visit www.carerpositive.org to find out more.
Videos from Carer Positive employers
Carers Scotland has launched a series of videos to highlight the benefits of supporting the growing number of people who are currently managing paid employment alongside caring.
The videos feature a number of ‘Carer Positive’ organisations, which have received recognition because of their good practice in supporting employees who have caring responsibilities.
Over 250,000 employees across Scotland, in the public, private and voluntary sectors, are now working in organisations recognised as Carer Positive employers.
Each video hears the experiences of carers and their employers, showing the benefits of good support from both perspectives.
Organisations featured are:
- Advice Scotland
- University of Edinburgh
- Standard Life
- Wheatley Group
- Scottish Gas
- Learning and sharing event *
* involving the Wheatley Group, Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service, West Dunbartonshire Council, Dumfries & Galloway Council, NHS Dumfries & Galloway and Dumfries & Galloway Carers Centre.