Dementia Citizens: help pilot a new app for people caring for someone with dementia
Dementia Citizens is a new project that aims to help people with dementia and those who care for them, using apps on smartphones and tablets.
Dementia Citizens is looking for people with dementia or people caring for a loved one with dementia to help them pilot the apps. If you take part, you will be asked to carry out an activity, such as listening to music or creating a digital life story book. You will also be contributing to dementia research – by completing short wellbeing surveys, you will be helping researchers to understand care interventions and make recommendations for people affected by dementia.
Find out more about the project in this short video:
What does taking part involve?
Dementia Citizens is inviting people affected by dementia and/or their carers to join the project. This involves registering your interest to use one of two apps that have been developed to help people living with dementia and those who support them. The apps are:
- Playlist for Life: Use this app to help the person you are caring for find and listen to music that means something to them. Everyone has a song that takes them back to another time and place or cheers them up, and listening to this music can have powerful benefits for those living with dementia.
- Book of You: You can use the Book of You app to make and view a digital life story book. This is a collection of photos, words and other things that reflect important aspects of the life of the person you look after. Book of You is a way for them to share happy memories with their friends and family.
Dementia Citizens is run and managed by Nesta, the UK's innovation foundation, and is supported by the Department of Health, Alzheimer's Society and Alzheimer's Research UK.
What Dementia Citizens will ask you to do?
Register your interest as early as possible and once the apps launch in July 2016 use one of the apps designed for people living with dementia and their carers for 12 weeks. There is no requirement of how much you need to use the apps – just use them as you would any other new app. While you are using the apps you will be asked to respond to short wellbeing surveys. That’s all!
Why should you take part?
- Find new activities that you can enjoy with family and friends, using your smartphone or tablet.
- Learn new ways of living with dementia and caring for someone with dementia.
- Take part in dementia research studies and help researchers and professionals understand more about dementia care. The valuable everyday data generated by the app users, whether the person with dementia or their carer, will help researchers spot patterns, learn more about caring for people with dementia and help them produce evidence-based recommendations and delivery of personalised care.