Any other young carers out there?

A place for those 18-35 to chat about all things caring.
Hi i am 29 and i care for my son who is autistic and he has a sensory disorder.i have two other kids too and life is very hard and stressful
Hi Shinza,
Welcome to the forum.

Please post a hello on the New to the Forum thread as well, as more folk will see it and respond.

I care for S, he is now 25 (where did time go ?!) he has autism and sensory processing disorder too. He wears special earplugs when out and about. He has a weighted blanket on his bed and blackout blinds as he finds the dark helps him de-stress.

How old are your children? Do you receive any support/ use any schemes, clubs etc?

Melly1
Sidra_1705 wrote:Hi.. I'm also a young carers just joined today.. I'm 27 I care for my mum.. have been caring for about 4 years now.. left so much behind to help my mum get back in her feet...ive read so many post and just want to say that everyone sounds so lovely here.. I'm really glad I joined.. thank you all
Hey to all the young carers. Just Googled advice for how to deal with caring and making sure there is a life for me. Which I struggle to do. After seeing Sidras post especially, I can relate. I am 27 and also looking after my mum. I have been caring for her since I was 19years old. She has lupus but in the past I cared for her part time since she was able to go back to work and I continued my studies and work. But recently the lupus has been aggressive and I've stopped everything to be by her side, whilst I watch all my friends fulfill their lives. This is our journey to care I understand.

But my God it's hard. I don't have family sadly for support. So just me, mum and dad. And just glad there's a community where we can all share our stories and not feel so alone.
I'm a 25 year old who been caring for around 10 years now. It so hard and effects me both socially and finacualy I can't afford to move out and really affects my mental health
Caring's tough at any age - when you are young it's worse, as you see your precious youth passing you by...

Who is it you care for? What are their care needs? How come ended up spending the last ten years dedicated to another human being?

Sorry if I sound a little 'angry' but even if you deeply love the person you have been caring for, in a 'good' society no 15 year old should be a carer - let alone for the next ten years.

Tell us a little more about your circumstances, and perhaps we can point in directions that might lighten your caring load....
Hi Guys, I’m caring for my oldest who is 16years old with mental health needs aswell as behavioural issues query asd, my 13year old has ASD a cognitive delay and processing disorder my 8year old has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy, epileptic has a learning delay and failure to thrive and my 20month old has spd, hypermobility and query hemiplegia.
I'm 31, caring for 11 years for my father. So glad to read this forum with other people my age! Went to a carers meeting once and it was all pensioners looking after their spouses. Fabulous for them but didn't feel it was right for me.

Also fab to read that all of my frustrations are shared by others! I've been so ashamed of feeling this way and haven't been able to discuss it with anyone. My dad HATED his parents and ran away from home very young, but doesn't seem to see any problem with me spending almost every waking hour with him. I keep meaning to tell him you wouldn't have wanted to spend every day with your parents! But can't bring myself to say it.
Hello Tired,
Welcome to the forum. Can I ask how old dad is, and what is wrong with dad? Has he had a Needs Assessment from Social Services? Claimed PIP or Attendance Allowance? Have SS done a Carers Assessment for you?
Hi Bowling bun. Yes recently had an assessment for care, and they wanted us to pay £65 per week towards a carer for one hour a day 5 days a week. I postponed that until he needs more personal care etc, currently it's just emotional support and supervision he needs. I didn't fill in the care assessment they gave me as looking through it I found so much of it didn't apply to me, and I would only get £100 or so to buy myself something... I'm lucky in that I don't need money to buy myself anything, and i have everything I want or need, so I binned the assessment :dry:

Dad has Parkinsons, is 70, is still on DLA, high rate mobility and low rate care allowance.
The carer assessment process seems to fail in cases with multiple caree's in a household.
I had mine some months back and was told while it was clear I was taking on more than I should be, no assistance/relief could be provided because my primary caree is under CHC, who do not collaborate with local authority/SS.. and that it was CHC's problem, effectively passing the buck because CHC's response tends to be that the health and social responsibility extend only to the person they fund.

With the carer groups I agree, there is not enough support for sibling carers/those doing it from a young age and you feel out of place. if I have the means to help somebody out that needs assistance I always will, but I had attended the group to get some sort of support and meet others in my age group/try to make friends and by the end had spent some time handing out benefits advice (I have done voluntary work in a similar role in the past) to older people worried about dealing with DWP, technology and the like.

I came home feeling even more dejected, like I'd left a place of work only to go to another, aside from this group environments drain/exhaust me mentally and I felt knackered. Added to that even the venue is in a very rough part of town, even someone of my stature I don't feel particularly safe/comfortable making the trek there again.