simple economical recipes

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Sorry Susie and Anne, those egg recipes aren't for me, though I'm sure others will appreciate them. I struggle wth anything eggy. I do like pancakes though - where the egg is better disguised.

I love beans and pulses.

Mrs A, I use the spinach and cheese etc filing for cannelloni, ( a weekend meal only, too tine consuming for a weekday!)

Melly1
Oh dear Melly, there is an egg in this.
First, I love Chinese vegetable dishes. Last night I had rice - I do it in a rice cooker, which probably breaks the rules here, and although it is no good in keeping rice warm as it dries it out, it just simplifies thinking. Then I had a lot of bok choi I got cheap in Chinatown and I fried a bit of onion and garlic. I also had a piece of frozen salmon I ought to use up. I did not put any Chinese ingredients in.
This lunchtime I had some rice over, not much. I fried a bit of a very fat spring onion that was left over, added a chopped up tomato and the rice and then stirred one egg in. It was very good. I didn't feel like having any more Chinese greens.
I used to get 'real' spinach, the tougher stuff with more flavour, but I'm afraid I used to put an egg on that too.
It's no good Mrs A - there's just something about all pulses I can't bear! I think it's that sort of horrible thick 'floury' taste and texture they all have. Absolutely hate it.

Isn't it funny what individuals do or don't like? I wonder where it comes from?

Some is understandable - ie, my SIL loves kale, spinach, those dark greens, and burnt toast, as her taste buds are 'blown' so to speak, so she needs strong flavours to taste anything. That said, he can't eat curry or chili, and neither can I.

I'm a 'supersensitive' (I've seen it on the telly so must be true!) and the slightest 'hot' burns my mouth. I can just about eat a korma with a bucket of yoghurt to 'cool it down'. I can't wash my teeth with ordinary toothpaste as the mint burns my mouth too. It's like an acid mouthwash. I tend to use kiddy toopaste with strawberry flavour. I remember asking my dentist whethere there was some reason that toothpaste needed to taste of mint, and he said 'everyone loves it'! Yes, well, chum, not me....

But where the dislikes come from for things like pulses, that are very 'bland' I don't know.

What do other folks like or dislike in foods, and do you know why at all???
How many pulses do you know, Jenny? Do you not like the small dark green puy lentils? Just wondering what your concept of 'all pulses' is.
I think a lot of food dislikes come from bad cooking when a child, either at home or more likely the dreaded school dinners!!! I still think I hate pease pudding so much that I won't try it again even though I last had it about 55 years ago and have tried and liked a lot of its relatives since . It used to be served cold in parts, hard in others with a vile texture and foul taste AND we were made to eat it by teachers. Likewise liver turns my stomach at the very thought... :sick:

Luckily I was brave enough as I got older to retry many things I used not to like as a child: fish, beans and pulses, curry, olives, pate, cabbage to name a few. Either my taste buds have changed or the cooking has, either way I like most things now, as my waistline testifies :lol:

Hubby thought he didn't like curry as he'd never had it at home and heard 'hot'. We started him gradually and now it's his favorite
I'm sure school dinners are responsible for a lot of food issues. 60 years later I can still remember pickled beetroot and mash potato. Utterly revolting.
When I was just 5 years old I refused to go to school any more. Absolutely determined. I regularly drive past the spot where 60 years ago I refused to go any further. I was academically very able, mum took a while to get out of me what the problem was.

I was forced to drink warm school milk, finally I agreed to go on the understanding that this would never happen again. I quite liked being Milk Monitor, stabbing the cap on the milk and pushing the straw through, I just didn't want to drink the stuff.

I was a picky eater when young, I remember mum buying meat pies full of grisle? As soon as I got some I refused to eat any more.

Meals at the new Grammar School were fantastic, my absolute favourite was "Toffee Cream Tart". Does anyone else remember that?

I now eat almost anything, as long as it's well cooked. When I was in Majorca they served overcooked sprouts one night and cauliflower in batter another night. Yuk!
ugh! school milk!!! ours was delivered early and left outside in snow and frost so it froze in middle. the whole crate of little bottles was then placed on top of the big black heater/boiler in the corner of the room so by the time break time came we had warm outsides around frozen lump in the middle, how we didn't all get food poisoning I don't know or maybe we did. In summer it was always warm, if not hot!
I still don't like milk to drink much but prefer it as cheese, yoghurt, ice cream etc
I agree!!Yuk yuk school milk. Warm in the summer. I couldn't face it in the winter either. Nearly frozen and lumpy. I used to sneak mine to a friend who loved it. I don't like milk to drink even now. On cereals yes, but took me a long time to like that. Used to have hot milk on cornflakes as a child can you believe? Have skimmed milk now.
My parents had sterilised milk. Any one remember it? Believe they had because we didn't own a fridge and it kept well. Perish the thought now.
I've never had a problem with food ! Can't think of anything that I don't like or won't eat. Coming from an English Mother and an Italian Father I got to try so many different foods as a child - if we turned our noses up because of the look of a dish Mum or Dad would say "try it first, if you don't try it you won't know if you like it or not" !!! Plus, of course, I was born just after the war when so many foods were still on ration and to waste any food was the biggest 'sin' of all.

My Mother was a really good 'plain' cook and Nonna (my Italian Grandmother) taught her how to cook various Italian dishes - in fact Dad used to say that Mum's Spaghetti Bolognese was better than his Mother's :shock: :lol: :lol: My sister is a more adventurous cook than Mum was but doesn't get much chance to show her worth 'cos my Bro-in-Law is an extremely picky eater - if it's steak and chips, a roast and 2 veg or a meat pie, he's OK but anything else gets the thumbs down :( Luckily her two daughters both married men who will eat anything and who both like to cook - so their children have gown up with good role models around food :) I consider myself a good cook on a par with Mum, but not as good as my sister - however I can't bake, my cakes and pastry do not bear thinking about and are always inedible :blush: Whereas Mum was (and my sister is) a fabulous baker, pastry that would melt in your mouth and cakes to die for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Getting back on topic...
Each week when the oven is on for something else, I pop in a tray of sliced peppers drizzled in a little olive oil. Sometimes I add garlic. These then roast in a bout 20-30 minutes and then keep for up to 2 weeks in a plastic container in the fridge.
Just a slice or 2 added to a simple sandwich or salad transform them to something tasty. A few added to any tomato or spaghetti sauce, or to scrambled eggs, or baked beans (Melly and Jenny lol).
They go on cheese on toast or with cheeses and crackers. Liven up a soup or quiche etc etc

I usually buy bags of economy peppers as looks and size aren't important so for about £1.50 we transform at least 8 meals. If you buy these ready done from the deli you get about a 10th of the amount for the same money