Replacing high level light bulbs

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
One problem I increasingly face is replacing light bulbs up at high level.
As one gets on, climbing up step ladders with no one to steady them
becomes risky. I prefer using the old type filament light bulbs.

So on some of my house high level lamps I have fitted an extension
using a lamp plug, about 2 ft feet of wire into a new light socket.

Now when a bulb reaches the end of its life I can easily reach it.
The lower light is not in best lighting position but it is safe, and for me, a
carer on his own, that is more important.
That sounds a very practical tip Albert so long as the adaptation is done by someone knowledgeable of electrics. I have a handy nephew who must be at least 6'4" and maybe taller who can reach just about everything from standing on the floor :D :D
Bring back those old fashioned standard lamps! They were really good at giving quite a lot of 'top down' light, but not too high anyway. I find most ceiling lights are horrible anyway, wall lights are nicer.

These days though, light fittings seem to require a damn screwdriver to change the bulbs (ie, to get access to them). Also, my REAL hatred is for those ghastly 'prison' bulbs that make me feel suicidal with the ghastly dreary light they cast.

I know you are supposed to leave them on for half an hour and then they warm up - sorry, I just turn lights on and off the whole time, except in the living room, where I have warm wall lights and table lamps (because central lights are so horrid)
One problem I increasingly face is replacing light bulbs up at high level.
As one gets on, climbing up step ladders with no one to steady them
becomes risky. I prefer using the old type filament light bulbs.
Albert I've switched virtually all my light bulbs to the newer energy efficient ones - they last sooooo much longer so don't need changing so often :) Plus, like Henrietta I've got a nephew who's over 6' 4" and can reach all but my kitchen light in his stocking feet :shock:

jenny lucas wrote:Bring back those old fashioned standard lamps! They were really good at giving quite a lot of 'top down' light, but not too high anyway. I find most ceiling lights are horrible anyway, wall lights are nicer.

These days though, light fittings seem to require a damn screwdriver to change the bulbs (ie, to get access to them). Also, my REAL hatred is for those ghastly 'prison' bulbs that make me feel suicidal with the ghastly dreary light they cast.

I know you are supposed to leave them on for half an hour and then they warm up - sorry, I just turn lights on and off the whole time, except in the living room, where I have warm wall lights and table lamps (because central lights are so horrid)
Jenny you can get some that give 'full' light immediately - you don't have to wait for them to warm up :) Plus they come with a choice of 'colour' - warm white or cool white. The warm light ones are just right for table lamps - I get mine in Sainsburys or B&Q. AND you can still get standard lamps, have a look in the Argos catalogue for a really good selection.
You missed a trick there.

Changing said light bulb in the NHS , and you could earn £ 200 , even £ 300 in the Smoke , a saving for some hospitals ?
Chris - don't get me started on the PFI maintenance contracts.....I truly, genuinely, sincerely CANNOT understand why the courts have not overturned those contracts as being entirely iniquitous, forced on hospitals by governmetns, and therefore 'unfair' and, above all, that the leeches who charge those prices have HAD THEIR POUND OF FLESH from the NHS - in fact, they've had their entire corpses' worth of flesh (and it's the corpses of the patients the NHS can't afford to treat because they are bleeding out with their cash for the PFI contracts....)
Susie, thank you. My next problem is trying to work what the HELL is the equivalent to a 60 W bulb!!! It's SO confusing now (I blame the French - it's their revenge for Waterloo, forcing us to use their stupid metric units blah blah)
We can all thank that nice LABOUR Government for rewarding the private sector with such lucrative contracts.

Even add our children , grandchildren and , possibly , great grandchidren to the list ?

After all , many were thinking of their future , and the nice salaries waiting for them when the electors booted them out ?

One only has to rewind to the first announcements. Poor Dennis Skinner. He had to be strapped down as cheers from the Opposition benches greeted the announcement in the House.

Even a very sore point when CarerWatch invaded Compass to do battle with those " Nice " pinks with blue ties during those halycon days.

Still , when money is being thrown around , tempting to join the scrum ? Politics tend to be forgotten ?

I'm Alright Jack , 1959 ... near the end ... nothing will ever surpass that one for realism ?
jenny lucas wrote:Susie, thank you. My next problem is trying to work what the HELL is the equivalent to a 60 W bulb!!! It's SO confusing now (I blame the French - it's their revenge for Waterloo, forcing us to use their stupid metric units blah blah)
it's usually written on the carton :)
generally -
42w low energy bulb = 60w old bulb (625 lumens)
70w low energy bulb = 100w old bulb (1175 lumens)

although the numbers can vary depending on whether the bulbs are halogen or LED ones. If you have a branch of Ryness near you their staff will be able to advise you; alternatively if you visit their website at the bottom the page they have a series of guides giving information on all the different types of bulbs available :) https://www.ryness.co.uk/
One advantage of Brexit , a return to old money ?

Even at my age , I get fed up ironing a ten bob note , presenting same over the bar , and asking for 0.5682 of a litre of my usual please , Sergei , and the 2 not froth !

Is it just me or do others of my generation simply get thrown out of the few remaining local watering holes ?