Protecting Vulnerable Adults from Abuse (Safeguarding)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
79 posts
So true. They have no common sense or even the remotest idea of the practical side of caring Image Image
xx
One word of advice. ALWAYS ask for an advocacy service to support you as the carer. And NEVER have a meeting without them present in circumstances like this.

False accusations are unacceptable and you have every right to ensure that your own rights, as well as those of the person you care for, are upheld.
Charles, it was a long time ago so I can't really remember how it came about, But we did have someone round to take a statement from us, and details. I thought it was an advocate but I may be wrong. It may have more to do with my mother in laws poa (which was held by the OTHER brother, the one whose family took all her money and jewellery Image Image Image Image Image )
However, nothing came of it, although we had thought he was there to help us.
Just as a point of interest, in case I, or anyone else, needs to know, How do you arrange an advocate?
Phoebe x
Hi Pheobe and Charles

I went to the local Carers Group thinking that the manager there would stick up for me but I was so wrong. The Carers Group get the use of their offices and equipment free from Social Services and they were not keen to stick up for the carers against Social Services. The manager was there the day my dad had a failed discharge and when he phoned Social Services to get a place in a Home he was told he needed time to get used to being home from hospital. 2 hours after that the District Nurse and the GP were at my dad's house and ordered an ambulance immediately. My dad went back to the hospital and never came out alive. Social Services are full of "lessons will be learned" but they never do but we with brains watch them in action and we learn the lessons that these are people who cant be trusted to do anything right.

Duncaring
And so the travesties go on!

Charles, is it not possible that anyone can take legal action against local authorities who persistently make false accusations? Is it possible that group actions could be taken?

Anyone who has ever tackled the legal system will know that it is a painful process; that it can be expensive; that it is time consuming; that it is emotionally draining; and that it takes great tenacity. But the sort of experiences that are coming to light only serve to illustrate the concept of Institutionalised Abuse.

For the sake of clarity, Institutionalised Abuse is that 'where bureaucracies [such as social services departments] seek to cover up their own mistakes in order to protect the political interests of the organisations that they represent'. [DHS].

Why is it that this type of abuse is rarely challenged?

Thanks.

Betty
Hi Hillside

I dont think there is anyone in officialdom who has the bottle to stand up to Social Services (or any of the organisations such a DWP NHS etc) I have tried my MP, and my MSP and Local Council person. Social Services just lie their way through it. When they were faced with one letter to the Council person saying I was hindering my dad's progess demanding the stair lift and then another letter to my dad less than a month later written by a Social Worker stating that she had visited the house and decided that my dad needed the stairlift, they just could not cope with it. They claim I am a vexatious complainer but actually I pay attention to detail and know that they are rubbish. Claiming people are vexatious complainer means that others will accept their word and not the carer/caree/client or whoever. It is their big excuse.

Duncaring
I made a Subject Access request to view my SSD file. I'm described as a "serial complainer", only because everything I set up carefully when M. moved to a new care provider was never recorded properly, and it never happened as it should have done. Now I have the clearest possible evidence of a complete and utter shambles of monumental proportions. Whilst social services are supposed to be protecting vulnerable adults from abuse, throughout the file there is a theme of "it's not our responsibility anyhow". If they don't even accept that they are responsible, that leaves everyone wide open to abuse. On behalf of M I was paying a care provider for 27 hours care a week, but sometimes he only actually received 12, or even less! I've contacted Mencap, who gave me details of two solicitors "too busy to help"!
Bowlingbun, in my experience people only become "serial complainers" when they have had a series of things to complain about in the first place! It sounds to me like you've had plenty to complain about and it's a shame they didn't do their jobs properly to begin with, it could have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

It reminds me of men who claim that their wives nag them... sometimes it's just that men ignore requests from their wives to the point where their wives end up repeating themselves ad infinitum, but the problem is the same: lack of response causing frustration and then anger. (Of course it's sometimes the other way around, it's not a question of gender, more of attitude.)

The more I come into contact with the NHS and social services the more I realise what a battle it is getting the right kind of help for anybody who's ill, not just the people they classify as "vulnerable adults". In truth, once you're seriously ill, you are much less able to access what you need from the system, so having a fit and strong person to fight your corner becomes paramount. Where's Superman when you need him?

I guess that for people looking after disabled relatives life is probably one long series of battles against the system. No regulation or law will ever protect your loved ones like you do, every day of their lives. You are all heroes to me.
Abuse comes in many forms. My wife [77] suffers from PSP who is in hospital (8 weeks now) for a class 4 sore. She has been mistreated by the three card trick, i.e the person wanted her to drink from a spoon with water and thickener, not a child's three hole beaker, They held three things in front of my wife a spoon a glass and a beaker, then very quickly showed my wife the objects by waving them in front of her and speaking very loudly, when she chose the wrong one. They started again, so confused was my wife she chose the spoon the one they wanted. They are treating to treat a problem which she does not have. Not ensuring her bowel movements are correct constipation for 9 days etc she needed an enema. That's abuse. No continuity of care, never the same carer any day.
Abuse: use improperly, misuse.
Story in newspapers today
Mother hides recording device inside cuddly toy to catch care home staff 'swearing at her severely autistic son'

A mother has caught care home staff shouting abuse at her autistic son, after she bugged his teddy bear

Christine Anne Mayor, of Trefelin, Trecynon, hid a small recording device inside her 15-year-old son's cuddly toy and captured the carers making 'unacceptable' remarks to the vulnerable teenager.

The tape reveals voices shouting and swearing at Kyle Thomas, calling him at 'dirty boy'.

On the tape, voices can be heard shouting 'dirty boy' at Kyle Thomas, as well as a series of expletives.

Following a lengthy investigation and formal hearing by Rhondda Cynon Taf council's Children's Services, four employees have been given formal warnings but have remained in their posts.
read in full here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... c-son.html

Edit

Can I just add that whether our visits to see R are planned or unplanned, we have always found a 1st class service where he is. They dont just provide for his 'needs' but provide a proper home from home environment. I wanted to add this to add a little balance.

x
79 posts