Protecting Vulnerable Adults from Abuse (Safeguarding)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
79 posts
I've also read it and gained from the information as it covers the whole spectrum of the issue. It's a very important topic and needs not to be 'bogged down' with single aspects.
On crb checks, I've had on for years and still have one. All it actually means is that up until the date on the crb check you have not been found guilty of any crime. It's the best we've got, but there is considerable room for improvement!
Is this legislation which applies UK wide Parsifal or is it just pertinent to England and Wales?

Eun
This is statutory guidance which is reliant on other legislation in terms of requirements made of local authorities and not legislation in its own right. It applies only to England and Wales but the Scottish Parliament has legislation in place which I believe addresses the same issues:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2007/14/contents
Thanks Parsifal.

Eun
Thanks for that Parsifal its gone towards clarifying a couple of issues I have at the minute with some thing in my family
Bowlingbun,

It seems to me that somebody stealing money from your son's account definitely constitutes abuse, so as far as I'm concerned I don't see why you shouldn't post about that issue here. It's often the case that some issues/problems that carers have to cope with will fit nicely into several different discussion threads on these boards; for instance, my difficulties with getting either of my parents to wash/bathe/shower themselves are well documented on at least 2 threads here (one was specifically about my parents, the other was a discussion started by another member who had had similar difficulties with his elderly mother). I don't think it's very friendly to try to restrict members from saying the same thing on more than one thread, especially when that issue has apparently almost led to the member concerned having a nervous breakdown. In any case, not everybody reads every thread so why is this an issue?

Parsifal, it has not escaped my attention that you started this thread very soon after implying that I had in some way "abused" my mother by pressuring her to take a shower. In that case the health risks for her were becoming serious enough for me to warrant taking a rather firm stance with her and although I wish I had not had to go down that route, I do not regret taking action that has posssibly saved her from getting a nasty infection. Nobody can judge what is right or wrong in a given situation unless they have been in exactly the same situation themselves. It's all very well quoting the regulations word for word, but in the real world situations arise which regulations can never entirely cover, as they cannot be tailored to each individual circumstance. Most family carers are doing their best in very trying circumstances, and if occasionally they "break the rules" in some way, it's probably because either: a) it is the only way to help their caree; or b) they are under huge stress which can cause them to act out of character.
SheWolf, this is an issue, along with several other common subjects, about which I have long intended to start a thread, I decided to post this information rather than information on another subject primarily because I had sufficient time to spend on it and because the issue has come up on many occasions in different contexts, including in a number of contexts recently, and I thought that it would provide a useful information resource, nothing more sinister than that. I had hoped to post information on similarly common subjects if and when I have the time.

Apropos the suspected financial abuse issue I thought that this has been resolved although not, it appears, to everyone's satisfaction.
I have got rid of two care agencies during the last year, both for different relatives of mine.
The first agency had a carer who was 'bullying' the personal care was not up to standard, staff came and went as they pleased - just a few of my concerns. They had to go! I made sure they did! Image
The second agency for a different relative had poorly trained staff who were obviously not up to the job of caring and no confidence in themselves (I wonder why?!!) Again the staff came and went as they pleased. I saw them off as well!! Image
Both relatives now both have the same care agency who have competant and well trained staff. They stick to times allocated.
When I go away this year I will feel confident that my relatives are being looked after and a close eye will be kept on them by caring staff.
All people who receive care at home should have an independant visitor who can
monitor what is going on and how competant the care ageny staff are who are going in to assist.
I agree. Usually a family member or friend can see what is going on, but I feel really concerned for vulnerable adults who don't have anyone. In theory, there are advocates who can also help. My son has had two different advocates who I hoped would support him, especially when I was seriously ill. They were ever so friendly with the care providers but wouldn't talk to me at all! At one Adult Protection meeting the advocate walked straight past me without even a "Good Morning" then smiled warmly at the care providers and went and chatted to them for 15 minutes before the meeting started. Her line manager was equally dismissive of my concerns about my son's safety. If they don't understand the word "impartial" what hope is there? (I'll make sure the Advocacy Service gets a copy of the Ombudsman's report in due course).
Abuse; abuse; what is abuse? Abuse; abuse; who conducts abuse?

Yes, we know what abuse is - well, normally anyway! We are given plenty of info as to who might who commit abuse! We are told that abuse can be direct, or indirect; overt or covert; of various types - that is, physical; sexual; emotional etc. etc., with presumptions being made that perpetrators exist outside the bounds of the authorities. In other words, authorities - social services, or health - are sacrosanct to any sense of criticism; they can do no wrong.

So what happened to the element of 'Institutionalised Abuse'; why do we never hear of any wrongdoings in this context? Some of the biggest abusers are these very authorities; social services in particular.

Insitutionalised Abuse is that which occurs when an organisation or bureaucracy seeks to cover up their own mistakes by trying to blame those on the receiving end. We are told that 'anyone' can commit abuse; so why is it assumed that social workers (including senior managers!) - the very people who we are told 'will sort everything out'; make sure you tell them; they will investigate; and do what is right' - are to be regarded as our saviours; when actually they are the very ones committing the abuse?

Our own family has been torn apart by - and I make no apologies! - arrogant, and sanctimonious individuals; hiding behind the mantle of arbitrary 'professionalism'. We have a son who has multiple disabilities - i.e. cerebral palsy; LANGUAGE; and autism; and simply because the social workers did not understand - more accurately, chose not to understand, because that would mean actually having to admit a weakness - the complexities of his disabilities, then chose to put the blame on us when things went wrong.

Our son has been sexually assaulted; physically assaulted; emotionally and psychologically abused; by different people at different times; - all because social workers did not have the capacity either to understand his needs - even in the light of expert professional reports; or to admit they didn't understand; all through prejudice caused by ignorance.

We have despaired!

It's time that Instituionalised Abuse was given its' rightful prominence in the stakes of Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults!

Thank you
79 posts