Protecting Vulnerable Adults from Abuse (Safeguarding)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
79 posts
I was complaining about financial abuse. With the first care agency looking after my son, one carer was definitely dipping into my son's money regularly. In the end I set up a Basic bank account for him so that he could use a card to withdraw money from the Post Office, but no significant sums of cash were in his room. As soon as the system was changed, my son had plenty of money. The following year, £200 was withdrawn, but not accounted for, however in the following weeks, odd payments in were made. I came to the conclusion that someone had "borrowed" the money. I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the current care agency, they are just useless at maths, I can't imagine how they manage their own finances. I have one time sheet that says 4+4= 8.5 hours, and 5.30-8.30 = 3.5 hours. Both were paid by the care agency!Care staff have to have a Basic Food Hygiene certificate before they help anyone with food preparation. Why isn't there a similar qualification for those supporting vulnerable adults with their money?
I was complaining about financial abuse...
Sorry, bowlingbun, but perhaps I was not as clear about the purpose of this thread as I believed I was, the original post was intended to provide an information resource for the use of every member of the board covering all types of abuse perpetrated by all groups in all settings, it was never intended to provide a discussion exclusive to one type of abuse, i.e. financial abuse. Abuse takes place within care homes and in the homes of vulnerable adults so it would seem perfectly valid to widen the discussion beyond your experience of suspected financial abuse to include other care settings and types of abuse. I wonder whether, if you want to go into greater detail about your experience, it would better to do so in the thread you started on the subject so that this thread does not concentrate exclusively on financial abuse?
I was just trying to make the point that what should happen in an investigation and what actually happens can be very, very different; using my own experience as an example. POVA investigations are supposed to have a sense of urgency about them, mine never did! The people conducting the investigation never even gathered together the basic facts.
I was just trying to make the point that what should happen in an investigation and what actually happens can be very, very different; using my own experience as an example. POVA investigations are supposed to have a sense of urgency about them, mine never did! The people conducting the investigation never even gathered together the basic facts.
I do not think that any of us can assume that our individual experiences are necessarily universal, practises can vary widely and one could reasonably expect a Safeguarding Team to prioritise investigations where the victim is at serious physical or emotional risk over cases of financial abuse where the sums of money involved are relatively small.

And Safeguarding does not only apply to providers of services, family carers can and do sometimes find themselves under investigation so I think that it would be both interesting and useful to look at the issue in its widest sense but I have no idea or control over where this thread will lead it really is up to anyone who chooses to post on it.
it is not always possible to see all paperwork in a safeguarding issue.
In my son's case,we have had two Adult Protection concerns,and have not been able to access much of the paperwork.I am frustrated, but it is because there are names of other service users, (also vulnerable adults) on the reports.
pova,is the first thing that comes back on a crb and refers to protection of vunerable adults in all forms not just financial.
I agree entirely that everyone's experiences are slightly different, however it is only possible to identify trends if a number of people are prepared to give details of their own experience. I have been both the accuser and accused in POVA investigations. My son has £4,000 less in his account than he should, hardly a small sum. Unbeknown to me, the team leader and social worker had decided that the care agency were innocent and I was the real abuser BEFORE the first meeting was held. When I was not present, I was accused by the care provider of having £6,000 in my own account which was my son's - because neither understood my son's situation. Before any factual investigation the area manager attempted to take away my appointeeship and threatened me with the Police. It's a long story, but they suggested that I was incompetent in some way - in fact I was far more qualified in this area than anyone else involved! The LA wanted to believe everything the care provider said, and nothing I said. Factual information was ignored. Important records "lost". It has taken 3 years to get the problem investigated properly, but nearly driven me to a nervous breakdown in the process. I don't know whether I just had a bad experience. Has anyone else been through the same procedure?
I am concerned that there are contributions by other members which are getting lost in the longer and very specific posts about a single case of suspected financial abuse, this is a very important issue which is why I started the thread, it is something which touches on many of our lives and it could prove useful to see this discussion widened to include other members' experiences and concerns.
In the past I have been told firmly by certain people to stick solely to my own experiences when making comments on the forum. In response to other listers I would just like to say that it is not always possible to protect the ones we love from abuse, especially when they are away from home. I thought that my experiences might have been of use to someone whose caree might be involved with a POVA investigation. I'm sorry if my comments on this thread have bored anyone, or considered inappropriate, that was never my intention.
Parsifal, i other people will read and gain from the information you gave us, for which i thank you once again. Some of course will only read it and see no reason to contribute but may have their questions answered by it or may gain some new insight. I am not a brilliant on computers but i am guessing this took a lot of your time.
It has of been of personal use to my in present circumstances as well as interesting in its own right.
Thank you, Audrey, perhaps I won't shoot myself after all Image Image Image . Or at least not yet Image .
79 posts