Need some help

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hello there
As you may know my MIL passed away about three weeks ago . im very lonly now. Not much for me to do around the house any more . I was thinking of taking up social carring as a foul time job. would you know who i would have to contact for help with this .
Many thanks Gillian
Hi Gillian

I'm so pleased you are thinking about your future - I would have thought the first place to check is your local Job Centre, they should be able to give you some advice on what sort of jobs are available.

I think Rosemary contacted Help The Aged regarding voluntary work, have a word with her - she'll be able to give you some advice.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Take care

Paula xx
Flower, it's probably a bit early yet as you're still getting over the loss of your mum-in-law. It's left a huge hole in your life, I know.

By all means consider going into social caring but make sure your eyes are wide open. The Jobcentre will be happy to help but won't tell you that there is a world of difference between caring for someone at home and working in social care - for one thing there are regulations, policies, and all the rest of it that you have to follow. Some people can't cope with that - so you need to be sure that it's the right thing for you.

What you might like to do first is to volunteer at somewhere like Age Concern at a luncheon club or day service to "test the waters" and see what you think. If nothing else it will get you out doing something constructive, and it will give you time to decide what you really want.
Hi Gillian,

Nice to see you posting after everything you have been through.Paula let me know you were asking about this line of work as she knew it was something I have already been through.Thx Paula x x x

Paula and Charles are both right in what they have said,also this site has more information for those grieving ...http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Car ... ereavement

I have no idea if a job is a necessity for you in that you need an income as soon as possible but you have not had much time to come to terms yet with your MIL's death.I would hate to see you make a decision too soon.Try gather as much information as possible,talk to other people who provide care for a living.Its a massive difference caring for someone not a family member and doing it as a paid employee.

There are also various grants to help people back to work and an advisor at your local job centre that Paula already mentioned could help with that.

Like Paula and Charles have both suggested,voluntary work can be a good place to start if you want to stay within the caring field.It was what I did for a short while after my mam died.
Since last September though, I have been working 16 hours a week for an elderly couple who both receive Direct Payments and I can honestly say that for me it has worked.I could have gone back to office work or even ASDA but I get more job satisfaction this way.( Anyways, I used to get wrong in the office way back then for distracting the other staff Image Image )

Whilst you are gathering information Gillian,is there anything that you have always wanted to do for yourself that your caring role stopped you from doing.Any courses,any hobbies.Did you lose contact with friends? Can you get in touch with them again?
Some of these can help with the loneliness.

In the meantime you know where we are, so keep posting.

Chin up Gillian,I know its an old cliche but........Time does help.
Rosemary
Charles,

Since Gillian is already Flower...............can I be..........Petal Image
Just teasing,it was a memory of times gone by...my granda used to call me Petal....or Tuppence.

Rosemary

P.S. Not that I am saying you are old enough to be my granda.. Image Image
Thank you very much for all your advise and help i will think it through .And i will keep you postide .I really dont no.What i would do with out your help and great surport .Thank you so much
Kind reagrds Gillian
Hi Gillian,

Just a quick line to see how you are coping.
You know where we are if you need support.

Rosemary
Charles,

Since Gillian is already Flower...............can I be..........Petal Image
Just teasing,it was a memory of times gone by...my granda used to call me Petal....or Tuppence.

Rosemary

P.S. Not that I am saying you are old enough to be my granda.. Image Image
Sorry Rosemary - I missed this...must be sleeping with my eyes open or awake with 'em shut.

Petal it is. I may not be old enough, but today I feel like it. Last week was a tough one, both at work and at home. Still, nice quiet day today - ironing, cooking and keeping my son occupied while my wife does her studying. Image