Mattress for back problems

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi
My father doesn't need an alternated pressure mattress, but he still has back problems. He's got a spinal injury, T1. Any suggestions?
Hello Larry,

Have you approached your local Occupational Therapists for any advice on suitable beds ?
If your Dad is relatively mobile I would suggest taking him to somewhere like the bed department in one of the big department stores or to one of the big bed shops and letting him try out a few for support/comfort. Generally there will be a member of staff available who will have knowledge of which bed would probably be best for him.

I have problems with my lumbar spine and like a medium to firm mattress on a sprung base as I find that gives me the right degree of support whilst still being comfortable - too firm and I feel 'bruised' in the morning, too soft and I can't straighten up on rising !!
My impression is that no one can advise. And probably everyone is different. Three years ago I needed a mattress and I sometimes have disc problems in lower back. I went for a small double which made the choice narrow. I should have got a single but I wanted room for the cat. I tried a number of mattresses, lying on them for about half an hour in shops.

First, on John Lewis' staff advice I got:
John Lewis Pocket Ortho 1800
It made my back worse so I sold it on ebay, though first I bought a mattress topper for it but that did not help. I sold that too.
Then I got one from Benson's - I am not at home so I can't give you the name. It has two layers so it can't be turned. I discovered, after I had paid, that I have to turn the whole mattress round first once a week and later once a month, which I can't do, but I can either change the end I'm sleeping at or put the bed on sliders and turn the whole bed around at intervals. I haven't got the impression this has stopped a well developing, but as long as my back is OK I don't mind. I can give you more details when I'm back home in 2 weeks but doubt it would help.

Advice to get a particularly hard mattress seems wrong to me. You could always contact someone like The Back Shop, who ought to know

http://www.thebackshop.co.uk/technogel

There's another shop called Back2. I got an office chair from them. It was expensive but they know their stuff.
Innerspring mattresses really deserve a comeback. They're easy to manage, taut, supportive and comfortable for most people. Adding a memory foam topper really makes them perfect.
My husband liked a firm mattress, he had a slight back problem, and slept on his back. It was OK for me, but not great.

When I went to sleep in the garage (conversion) I decided to have a double, rather than a king size. I went to a reputable bed shop and tried a variety, thought about it, went back again having tried others, and finally bought a soft pocket spring mattress, which is lovely for me.

The chap in the shop said it was so sensible to test the beds in the position in which you sleep - I always sleep on my side. Although classified as "soft" it is not soft and squidgy, but the top is soft enough to follow the contours of my body, so I'm fully supported.

How you sleep is really important, no point in testing one by lying on your back if you never sleep like that!
@Jenna: For most people, yes, but not for all people with back problems. I had to sell one and it's an expensive process and also not good for back problems. Both my mattresses were innerspring and I think they had toppers in them.
I just caught sight of this...
We have a mattress of our own design.. it is a composite made of 2" of latex foam on top of 6" of super soft ordinary foam all within one (very stretchy) cover. So that's not a 6" mattress with a 2" topper. The base is a slatted firm without any give. The two parts are simply laying on each other without andy glue. They rely on the friction between the two layers to stop them slipping and it seems to work.

Ordinarily one would expect to put a soft top on a firmer base but we did it the other way round. The result is a mattress that gives when you sit up in bed.. (hence needing a stretchy cover) but supports your body evenly all over when lying down. It can accommodate the difference between my 90kg and my wife's 60kg without sagging.

Because there is only 2"of latex it is very light. You can turn the components every now and then. Am I allowed to mention where we got the foam from?
Greta wrote:@Jenna: For most people, yes, but not for all people with back problems. I had to sell one and it's an expensive process and also not good for back problems. Both my mattresses were innerspring and I think they had toppers in them.
Oh! Yes , you might be right Gerta. It actually depends on people to people. May be I got lucky since it suited all my requirements and I got it at a reasonable price as well though reading complete detailed reviews from this site - https://www.mattressify.com/reviews/inn ... -mattress/