Holiday destination tips & quips

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
As you know it's holiday season folks and you never know a place unless you've been before right. Been to lived there got the T-shirt? Tell everyone what you think is great about a place or what's not so good. It's good to know before you go all those 'other people's' experiences.
Have you got any tips on a place or Country that we need to know about? Good, bad or ugly I'd love to hear them. It might just make me decided where to go on this Big Old planet called Earth. :lol:
Manhattan New York...If you stay it's very noisy day and night...Great City though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UsNATz1sgE
New York's very exciting no doubt! But don't go there in the heat of summer. When I went we couldn't avoid the summer (school hols) but very luckily it was unexpectedly cool, with rain, which made it very pleasant. Take VERY comfy shoes, preferably trainers, as you will walk and walk and walk and walk.

If you can only do either Empire States Building or Rockerfeller Top of the Rock, do the latter - it's very art deco atmospheric, far less queuing, and you can see the Empire States Building from it, which you can't on the ESB itself!

If you can do both, do Top of the Rock by day and ESB by night.

Other recommendation, get the free (or incredibly cheap at least) ferry from Manhattan downtown across to Jersey, as you can see the Statue of Liberty beautifully in both directions, coming and going. You will also mingle with real 'New Yoikers' commuting to 'Joisey Shore'!! The native are all on the port side going out, away from the S of L and starboard full of tourists taking photos of S of L (and reverse on the way back. ) YOu have to disembark when you get to Joisey, but you can hang around for ten minutes till the return trip starts boarding.
Hiya Jenny, Those are great tips, yes New York is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. The best way to travel on a budget is via the New York subway you can get to anywhere in the whole of New York down there for a few $$$$ and some of the best free talent is down there also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG4On_3QDjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVoyLw8t41Q

Also, Manhattan isn't the only neighborhood to visit.

Attachments

Best cheesecake in the world...Junior's...Brooklyn and NY City:)

Attachments

Barcelona!
The Sagrada familia by gaudi, the unfinished church. The magic fountain of montuiic. The splendid buildings. The baguettes nearly as good as the ones in Paris. The famous football stadium. Eating outside People watching. One of the many places I have been to with hubby. Happy days.
Pet66 wrote:Barcelona!
The Sagrada familia by gaudi, the unfinished church. The magic fountain of montuiic. The splendid buildings. The baguettes nearly as good as the ones in Paris. The famous football stadium. Eating outside People watching. One of the many places I have been to with hubby. Happy days.
Hiya Pet, Barcelona is definitely somewhere I want to go in the World I haven't been to mainland Spain but most of America. Yet Spain so close. I know people who've been to Barcelona and said it's fabulous.Have you got a preference to Citys or a bit of beach/city? I think I prefer Citys myself now, so much culture to be found.
Hi Charm
Catch 22 question!
I love cities with all of the culture. Prague, Krakow Bruge, Belgium Paris and so on! Plus British cities, York, Bath etc
I had a fabulous all inclusive holiday once, in Cyprus, only moved from the hotel a couple of times. I just sat by the pool reading. It's not like me, but was such a switch off from the stresses of work. All I had to worry about was what to choose to eat and drink lol. Hubby went exploring on his own.
When our daughters were little, the beach holidays were great as long as the weather was good. They were happy, so we were. I would love a walk along a nice beach at the moment, but that's not going to happen for a while.
So, if I really really had to choose, I would say cities, but it's a close call.
You've made me realize that I have been to such alot of interesting places.
My eldest daughter is in love with Italy at the moment.
PS I've just watched your YouTube attachment
Alice Ridley in a NY subway, singing Midnight train to Georgia. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. OMG memorising. The crowd were too by the look of it!
Pet66 wrote:Hi Charm
Catch 22 question!
I love cities with all of the culture. Prague, Krakow Bruge, Belgium Paris and so on! Plus British cities, York, Bath etc
I had a fabulous all inclusive holiday once, in Cyprus, only moved from the hotel a couple of times. I just sat by the pool reading. It's not like me, but was such a switch off from the stresses of work. All I had to worry about was what to choose to eat and drink lol. Hubby went exploring on his own.
When our daughters were little, the beach holidays were great as long as the weather was good. They were happy, so we were. I would love a walk along a nice beach at the moment, but that's not going to happen for a while.
So, if I really really had to choose, I would say cities, but it's a close call.
You've made me realize that I have been to such alot of interesting places.
My eldest daughter is in love with Italy at the moment.
Hiya Pet, Yeah I'm with you on that one I love Cities too. I love the beach too particularly the sea but then I lived many years on an Island so been spoilt in that way. I was brought up to love the sea and anything to do with water. Paris is fab and Cyprus I haven't been to any of the others on your list there Pet. The World is so big with so much to do and learn so much choice I just want to go everywhere!!! Never been to Italy either, got to do it one day. Want to go to Vienna too....Oh god yes! Children at the beach I used to get mine up early all summer holidays to take off somewhere for the day...had brilliant memories of the beach..we even did all the National Trust houses and gardens. They loved every minute...