grateful for advice on social care assessments

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Good morning from New Zealand' Sue here ; My Mum is in Lancashire and I am in New Zealand. I would love to say hello and ask a few questions
Does anyone know anything about applying for carers to go into the home following a stint in hospital; My Mum , who is visually impaired and very weak had a fall and was taken to hospital. I am trying to find out if she can have a really robust package of care in her own home , rather than go into a care home, to assist her to recover. Does anyone know any tools/books/websites or anything at all about this?

I would love to support my Mum ; she is pretty vulnerable right now
I would love any tips you may have
every good wish from New Zealand to you all
Susan
It should have been arranged before discharge by the hospital. 6 weeks of free reablement care. Then if neededlonger term Social Services should take over.
Hi Sue,

Difficult to sort this out from so far away. As Bowlingbun says, mum should be entitled to six weeks' free care upon discharge from hospital. Arranged BEFORE she leaves hospital. It may be worth trying to speak to the Hotel Social Worker to ensure that this is in place.

After that, carers can be arranged through mum's local Social Services - contact their elderly care area. They will need to do a care / funding assessment. If mum has less than approx £14k in savings, it is free, between £14-£23k in savings mum would have to contribute and above that amount mum would be considered self-funding. It is a complex area and varies from area to area. Take a look at this for how it all works:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/h ... p-at-home/

If you have any questions, just ask. Most of us have been through similar.

Good luck,
Anne
bowlingbun wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 am
It should have been arranged before discharge by the hospital. 6 weeks of free reablement care. Then if neededlonger term Social Services should take over.
Thank you so very much for this Bowlingbun; My Mum is still in hospital so I will try and talk to the hospital social worker tomorrow. Thank you so very very much
Susan
Anne001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:40 pm
Hi Sue,

Difficult to sort this out from so far away. As Bowlingbun says, mum should be entitled to six weeks' free care upon discharge from hospital. Arranged BEFORE she leaves hospital. It may be worth trying to speak to the Hotel Social Worker to ensure that this is in place.

After that, carers can be arranged through mum's local Social Services - contact their elderly care area. They will need to do a care / funding assessment. If mum has less than approx £14k in savings, it is free, between £14-£23k in savings mum would have to contribute and above that amount mum would be considered self-funding. It is a complex area and varies from area to area. Take a look at this for how it all works:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/h ... p-at-home/

If you have any questions, just ask. Most of us have been through similar.

Good luck,
Anne
Thank you so much Anne for your terrific help; I will ask my sister to talk to the hospital social worker in the first instance
It was great to hear from you; how is your weather . In New Zealand it is quite nice; it is spring here