Grandad refused care home place

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Evening, looking for some advice regarding my grandad.
We have been told he does not qualify to live in a home. He is 82, has dementia and currently has carers three times a day to help with meds, eating, shopping , and other daily needs. He's been very ill and spent two months in hospital. This was due to malnutrition and dehydration mainly (despite already having care three times a day). We were very concerned he wouldn't make it home. He then spent about ten weeks in a respite care home. He gained weight, improved his mobility, and was much happier. He was convinced to return home with the promise of a enhanced care package and a months assessment, none of which have happened. He wants to return to the care home he was in or another. The person who arranged all this has now washed his hands of him (this will be taken further) and we don't know what to believe of what he's told us. Does my grandad have a right to go in a home. This is quite urgent as my mum (main career) also cares for my severely disabled adult sister. The only other family member nearby also has a disabled child and they all have to over see the care of their brother who has down syndrome (we're a fun family). We are in the Bradford council area and can't their criteria online.
Happy to share more info if needed. He's becoming very depressed and difficult to care for, and just want him happy again. Thanks.
Was the promise of enhanced care package made in writing?

Or in front of witnesses?

Anyway make Written complaint to social services
Can you change the care package company?
If Grandad is self-funding, i.e. paying for his own care, then he can chose and go into whatever Home will have him.
If he isn't self funding you'll need to keep pressure and complaints going.
I'm just wondering whether it could be tactical to put some money together, say a month's worth of care home fees, and book him into a care home. Then, when his money is gone (I'm assuming he's basically under the £23,500 limit that triggers council-funded residential care), you could refuse to have him home, and tell the council he MUST remain where he is in the home.

Make sure you book him into a home that takes council-funded residents - not all do.

Good luck. It's wonderful he actually WANTS to go back to the home - so many elderly don't want to, and it seems bitterly ironic that someone who wants residential care can't get it!

All the best to you - Jenny
Alison, is dad getting any help at all at the moment from non family carers?

Everyone who is disabled in your family should have a Needs Assessment, usually updated annually. Everyone caring should also have a Carers Assessment. Was mum involved or consulted before granddad was discharged.

Who was it making the empty promises, Social Services or someone employed by the NHS?
jenny lucas wrote:I'm just wondering whether it could be tactical to put some money together, say a month's worth of care home fees, and book him into a care home. Then, when his money is gone (I'm assuming he's basically under the £23,500 limit that triggers council-funded residential care), you could refuse to have him home, and tell the council he MUST remain where he is in the home.

Make sure you book him into a home that takes council-funded residents - not all do.

Good luck. It's wonderful he actually WANTS to go back to the home - so many elderly don't want to, and it seems bitterly ironic that someone who wants residential care can't get it!

All the best to you - Jenny
Jenny
Any admission to a care home privately would be covered by a contract. The person signing would be agreeing to pay fees and I 'm not sure Grandad could sign for himself ( lack of capacity) and anyone else signing it knowing there is insufficient money would open themselves not only to huge debts but to possible fraud charges.
I can empathise with your wanting a solution, but this isnt feasible, and may well be illegal
kr
MrsA
Thanks everyone.
We're keeping up the pressure and pushing for a mental capacity assessment too. Mum has officially stepped away from being his main carer, but nothings changed so going to push for a careers assessment next week. He's not self funding, so will have to keep pushing. As he ended up in hospital with a similar care package in place don't think changing it would help, and the man he has is great at dealing with him. Hoping his continued experience of grandad will back up our argument that he's not fit to be at home. I'm taking over some of the families care role as he doesn't seem to get as aggressive with me, we'll see. Thanks for the support guys. X
How aggressive has he been with the others?
bowlingbun wrote:How aggressive has he been with the others?
He's only verbally aggressive, but to the point that we go in pairs now. Everything is an argument and he can be quite nasty.
He's also obsessed with money. Hording it, accuses others of spending it or doing things that cost him money. X