DATA PROTECTION ACT - this could affect you in a good way!

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I've been complaining for over a year to my LA that my son's needs assessment, and my carer's assessment, are both inaccurate and incomplete. They are both in draft form - copies were sent to me and I didn't sign them as OK because they were not.
I've been talking to the Information Commissioner's office this morning. The LA's failure to update the records, when I've pointed out that they are inaccurate and incomplete, falls four of the Data Protection Act.

PRINCIPLE 4 requires them to keep their information both accurate and up to date. Therefore if anything has happened to someone's circumstances since their last assessment was done, and the LA is dragging their heels in doing updates, write and tell them, pointing out PRINCIPLE 4.

I'm meeting the Chief Complaints Officer of my LA on Wednesday. She is also the Information Officer, so this will be another issue to raise with her!
Very good discovery. I think my records must be incorrect.

The way things are phrased can often be misleading, I find.

For example, an educational social worker met me and suggested something. I replied let us have he appointment with CAMHS first.
In his records that got translated as "I had declined his offer"
One other suggestion I would make to you BB is to take along to your meeting some official Code of Practice or Inspection Report that one of the Audit bodies has undertaken on your Local Authority.

Picking up on reccomendation that they should improve communication with parents, or some other appropriate reccomendation
Colin_1705 wrote:Very good discovery. I think my records must be incorrect.
The way things are phrased can often be misleading, I find.
For example, an educational social worker met me and suggested something. I replied let us have he appointment with CAMHS first.
In his records that got translated as "I had declined his offer"
I would suggest that is exactly what happened, which is what should be recorded. You declined at that time when it was offered.
Your reasons are yours.
I found that in my years working in Social Services that when recording, only corroborated facts, evidence and actions should be recorded.
Reasons, speculation and assumptions may be recorded somewhere else, sometimes and only if clearly identified as being that.