Cleaning tips

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Good point Albert,
There are two rooms here which are shut 90%of the time.
With the exception of the brass candlesticks which live on the mantlepiece in case of power cuts, I've given away all the brass.
My mum used to put anything special away in drawers or blanket boxes, as one chest was full she bought another, rather than get rid of anything. It took me a year to empty her house.
Now I have a "Use it or Loose it" policy. I know this sounds hard, but if I know my son will throw something away when I've died, and I'm not using something, it might as well go now. Maybe I've emptied too many homes for relatives now, but it's food for thought.
Life is for living, not hoarding. I saw a saying, "the happiest people are those with the fewest belongings". Food for thought, but I still have some way to go!
bowlingbun wrote:Life is for living, not hoarding. I saw a saying, "the happiest people are those with the fewest belongings". Food for thought, but I still have some way to go!
Our house is stuffed full.
Antiques. About 50 old wireless sets, 100 old thermometers. 100's of books etc etc.
...........and I'm as happy as a sand boy.........
No, I don't collect sand......yet!! :lol:
Cleaning tips ?

Don't bother with a "once a year" spring clean - bottom out one room completely per month (or every two months depending on how many rooms you have !) Always start at the top (cobwebs round the ceiling, brush/vacuum curtains or blinds etc) and work down to skirting board level. Dust/polish first, then vacuum - that way any dust dislodged from high up gets vacuumed up.

As per Pet's suggestion clean windows with vinegar/water solution, dry and polish with crumpled up newspaper.

Bicarbonate of Soda makes a good (gentle) bleaching agent and is also useful as a deodoriser for pet 'accidents' (sprinkle the powder on the affected area and work in, leave for an hour or so and then brush or vacuum off.

Soda crystals (cheap in supermarkets) make a great drain cleaner/sink unblocker. Put a good handful down the plug hole and then pour on boiling water. It's also very good for descaling washing machines, just add a handful in the dispenser drawer with your usual laundry detergent regularly.

Keep towels soft and fluffy by using white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner in the final rinse. It will even 'bring back' towels that have gone hard but usually takes 3 or 4 washes to have a full effect.

'Skid' marks on lino will often come off if you rub the sole of a trainer over the mark ! Or you could try WD40 which has a myriad of cleaning uses other than just 'oiling' squeaky hinges.(check out 2000 (!!) uses for WD40 here https://wd40.com/img/WD-40_2000_uses.pdf

Half a walnut or brazil nut will remove/disguise scratches from wooden furniture - just rub over the scratch and then rub up with a soft cloth.

By the way Pet that Karcher window cleaner gadget is BRILLIANT for drying off the tiles in the shower, no need to dry with a cloth and stops the need to use a descaling cleaner to get rid of watermarks - love mine !

That's all for now folks, if I think of any more I'll let you know :D
I like cobwebs ! Makes our old house look more historic. :)
Never clean outside windows....let the rain and wind do the job for you.

Try it out on one for starters. You will be surprised how clean it keeps
if you live in an exposed location as I do.
Our outside windows have not been cleaned for over 30 years as an experiment
that is now quite successful.
It's window cleaners that wish to take money off you every few weeks.

Mine are out of work, poor souls :lol:
Thanks, everyone, Brilliant tips and keep them coming the more the better...Albert, you reminded me of another one when you mentioned brass...Toothpaste for cleaning silver it works!...I wonder if coca cola might clean brass? :shock:
charm_1965 wrote:Thanks, everyone, Brilliant tips and keep them coming the more the better...Albert, you reminded me of another one when you mentioned brass...Toothpaste for cleaning silver it works!...I wonder if coca cola might clean brass? :shock:
not sure about cola - although it does take the tarnish of copper coins (makes me wonder what it's doing to my insides :shock: ) but mix a small amount of salt, flour and vinegar to a paste and that will clean brass or copper - alternatively I've heard that tomato ketchup will clean both too !
susieq wrote:
charm_1965 wrote:Thanks, everyone, Brilliant tips and keep them coming the more the better...Albert, you reminded me of another one when you mentioned brass...Toothpaste for cleaning silver it works!...I wonder if coca cola might clean brass? :shock:
not sure about cola - although it does take the tarnish of copper coins (makes me wonder what it's doing to my insides :shock: ) but mix a small amount of salt, flour and vinegar to a paste and that will clean brass or copper - alternatively I've heard that tomato ketchup will clean both too !
Hiya susie, I don't drink it :lol: Oh I wish I'd of known that tip on brass years ago. Mind you I liked brasso in the tubs not liquid. Didn't last long I remember:) Xx
Anyone who insists on polishing brass might like to try Peek polish. It brings up a wonderful shine which doesn't tarnish for months.
How does someone who has got rid of almost all the brass in the house know? I own a steam roller and traction engine! Fortunately, M loves polishing, he starts weeks before we go to a show. He worked as a volunteer on a miniature railway, they reckoned he was the best polisher they'd ever had, spent 5 hours polishing, and was rewarded by free rides on the train for the rest of the day.