Alzheimer’s – mixing medication in food

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Can anyone suggest how to help my mother, whose Alzheimer’s is fairly advanced, to take her prescribed 8 paracetamol a day for back pain? She will not swallow tablets as she will only take a tiny sip of water which is not enough to wash the tablets down, so we asked the GP for soluble paracetamol, but Mum is still very reluctant to take them, partly of the obnoxious taste, but also because she has a stubbornly held view that taking pain killers is ‘BAD’…
I thought of trying to crush the tablets and mix them in food – but what food? Mum hates yoghurt, crème fraiche, bananas, and will only have a teaspoonful of cream or custard. Citrus fruits or juice tends to give her indigestion. She does not like sweet things like jam, honey, peanut butter or chocolate spread. Also she does not have a huge appetite so is reluctant to eat anything extra to her normal meals.
If anyone has had a similar experience I’d be grateful to know.
Thanks.
It's recently been proved by a study that paracetamol is useless for back pain! Cetainly did nothing for my knee pain waiting for knee replacements. Is she allowed Ibuprofen/Nurofen?
My mum had a rare and painful back condition, best thing I ever did was arrange for her to have a very comfortable reclining chair, which was actually funded by the NHS due to the severity of her condition.
So perhaps mum could have less pain and be more comfortable if you studied her seating position? Less than 2 days before she died, mum was still hoisted into her recliner at her nursing home, she was so relieved as she said it was so much more comfortable than her air bed.
Thank you for your very interesting comments - the GP has prescribed paracetamol on several occasions over the last few years and only tried an alternative once, which was codeine based and caused constipation. I could ask about ibuprofen but we will have the same problem in taking the tablets.
I like your suggestion of a reclining chair. How did you find a suitable one? Did you have someone from the nhs come to do an assessment?
Rubbing on Voltarol (Ibuprofen based) might be just as effective. It's available in capsules which are easier to swallow. Talk to your pharmacist, often better than GP's on the subject of medication.
I'm about to go to a meeting, will have to try and remember the name of the chair company, I remember that they were near Oxford, if I stare at a map I'll probably remember more, as I used to travel a lot!
Thanks.
Hi Lily,
Soluble paracetomol is foul tasting. Both paracetomol and ibuprofen also come in a syrup form, most children take it no bother, so it can't taste that bad. You could ask for that instead. I can vouch for the voltarol gel, particularly if you get it prescription strength.
Melly1
Here's the link for the chair mum had. As her back was almost bent double, she had a big hump. The advantage of this particular chair was the three section "waterfall" back. The OT took the stuffing out of the middle "pillow" to make more room for the hump, but leaving her lower back and neck supported.
It was a "riser" recliner, electrically operated, really good for helping mum up - but why did the song "I'm a little teapot..." always come into my head when she used it?!?!
The only thing I didn't like about it was the pocket in the side, where mum kept her jobs notebook.

http://www.laybrookchairs.com/single-mo ... ft-Lounger
Thank you, Melly1 and bowlinbun, for your helpful replies. I will follow up on both the syrup and the chair.
Thanks again!
Hello Lily, just a thought regarding relief for your mum's pain and relief for you from worrying about her: maybe the doctor can prescribe pain patches? They can be a low dose administering pain relief on a weekly basis and increased if needed.They will be placed on an area of skin usually on the back and you may be allowed to apply it after you've been shown the simple procedure.