Q&A with Carers UK Chairman on Friday 3 Nov

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Survey ?

Ask the right questions , one would get the right answers ?

Whole thread earlier this year as to what was on it ... and more importantly , what was NOT asked ?

Perhaps for members to compile ... we know the questions ... just ask our Lord Kitch !

Food banks / housing ... both absent.
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm
I have refused to sign any of the last three carers assessments as they were factually inaccurate. Needs Assessments likewise.
The LGO is about to investigate. My son was granted Legal Aid in March, the LA has been slow to respond to his correspondence. It has taken months for a new MCA to be done, due to repeated staff changes and the old one being effectively "lost".
I insisted on having an advocate for both me and my son.
Repeated formal complaints about financial and physical abuse not acted upon.
Important meeting due on 15th November.
Board of trustees of Carers UK has made investment in our Advice & Information services a high priority precisely because members are raising so many tough situations like what you are describing.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:18 pm
Survey ?

Ask the right questions , one would get the right answers ?

Whole thread earlier this year as to what was on it ... and more importantly , what was NOT asked ?

Perhaps for members to compile ... we know the questions ... just ask our Lord Kitch !

Food banks / housing ... both absent.
I was struck by your comments on Forum earlier in the year, Chris, about food banks and State of Caring survey questions. I will discuss with staff colleagues who work on the survey about having such a question in 2018. I can assure you, we want State of Caring to be as robust as possible - that also means getting as many carers as possible to complete it.
David ... food banks ... I know CUK can do nothing to assist but ...

In the absence of any guidance " Upstairs " on the web page ( Only my " Blog " inside the forum ) , what message does that send to the 100,000 or thereabouts needing a food bank in the past year ... bets close to 150,000 as the UC steamroller appears on most manors ?

Difficult but ... 6 million carers ... 1 in 4 close / at / below the Official Poverty Line ( Joseph Rowntree Foundation ).

CUK ... the voice of carers ... all carers ???
Survey ... thanks David.

Major problem ... reaching the low millions without Internet access.

A printed survey to complete inside a local food bank is not a must ... it's essential ???

Raised on Survey thread but advoided as if it were contageous !
one of our next opportunities to raise the carer cause will be on Friday November 24th - three weeks today - CARERS' RIGHTS DAY - this is an opportunity to make points to MPs in their constituency surgeries, or if they are attending a local event with carers. We will also be taking the case for more help for carers to members of both houses of parliament, in a meeting the night before.

I realise when you are sitting at home, wanting some practical help now, that it may feel like 'talk, talk' but I know from my own experience campaigning for better rights for disabled people in the 1990s that, however tough it is, we have to keep on hammering away, making the arguments, answering the counter-arguments, and staying persistent and firm.
Austerity ... UC as a main weapon.

When I first posted the words ... SOCIAL WAR ... back on CarerWatch in 2007 , said words met with some disbelief ... even by fellow alternative thinkers.

Fast forward a decade and ... the same level of disbelief ... or now reluctant acceptance ?
Carers Rights Day ?

A red flag to a bull with me !!!

Suggest thread on that one ... saves repeating myself.

Rights ... exercisable ... fingers of one hand ?

Travel ... guide dogs have the Right to free travel , a human carer doesn't ???

Care Act ? Worker ? Working Time Directive ? Prisoner when the caring ceases ?
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:24 pm
David ... food banks ... I know CUK can do nothing to assist but ...

In the absence of any guidance " Upstairs " on the web page ( Only my " Blog " inside the forum ) , what message does that send to the 100,000 or thereabouts needing a food bank in the past year ... bets close to 150,000 as the UC steamroller appears on most manors ?

Difficult but ... 6 million carers ... 1 in 4 close / at / below the Official Poverty Line ( Joseph Rowntree Foundation ).

CUK ... the voice of carers ... all carers ???
Our goal is to be as effective and as powerful a voice as we can be for carers generally. It is partly "chicken and egg" - viz with a growing membership and more volunteers helping us, we can do more and we will also be listened to more by media, politicians, officials etc.
But we also have to continuously improve our ways of communicating with carers - both carers who use social media, Internet, email etc but also the many who don't yet do so. We are very mindful of carers not using social media etc
Contacting carers ?

Therein lies another conundrum.

CUK now centralised , carers can be contacted only through the grass roots.

Like the two people setting off a degree apart ... after 10 years , exchange binoculars for a telescope ???