Parkinson's psychosis

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello
My husband was diagnosed with young onset parkinsons 17 years ago and we muddle through.
two weeks ago he was sectioned with severe psychosis he thought among other things that I was trying to poison him which I understand is a common pattern with this illness
But he is now saying he doesn't want to be discharged home and has told his adult daughter (by first marriage we have been together 24years) that he wants to live near her which is a very long way from me and our children one of whom is still school age.
he's like a different person and myself and the children feel that he doesn't care about us.... as though the person he was last month has just vanished

Any ideas how to handle this
Hello Sharon and welcome to the forum.

I do know that there is form of dementia connected to Parkinson's so had to look up Parkinson's Psychosis to see if it was the same thing and found this American website which you might find useful
http://www.parkinson.org/understanding- ... /Psychosis

I also found this https://www.parkinsons.org.uk - but suspect that you've already checked it out.
he's like a different person and myself and the children feel that he doesn't care about us.... as though the person he was last month has just vanished
He hasn't 'vanished', he's still in there somewhere only now his illness makes him harder to find. It's the illness talking, not him.

My Mum had Alzheimer's and it became increasingly difficult to interact with her; she had various delusions from squirrels hiding in the grandfather clock to my Dad having an affair with a woman down the road (he'd been dead for over 20 years !). We found distraction techniques the best way to handle these episodes - so instead of trying to correct/contradict her we'd try to change the subject to something less contentious. When she was living in her care home and kept asking about 'going home' we'd try to calm her agitation by saying things like "maybe next week, when the Doctor has seen you again". By the time 'next week' came she'd forgotten all about it. You might find that something along similar lines will work with your husband; so when he says he wants to live near his daughter you could say something like "that will take some time to arrange so how about you come home with us in the meantime ?"

The other thought I've had after reading the information on the first link above is that his 'psychosis' might be related to the drugs he is taking for Parkinson's - so it might be worthwhile talking to his Doctor's about a review of his medication.
That's an intensely difficult and distressing situation to be facing....

I wonder though, whether even if your husband wants to live nearer his daughter, whether SHE wants him living near her, and under what circumstamces? (ie, what are his care needs, and how are they likely to increase??)

What would YOU like to happen, and again, how will his care needs impact you, and your own family?

I agree it can be so hard to see someone you love behave like this and yet keep it in your head that it is, indeed, the illness talking, not HIM (ie, the 'real him'). How are your children coping with their father?