OT problem

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
ha guys im not really getting on with my OT and whenever they turn up it aways ends badly.....is it a big deal to ask for another OT ????
You certainly could ask for another OT but it may not be the best solution as they seem to all be cast from the same mould. Perhaps trying to understand how they see the world and explain to them how this differs from how you see the world would be a more productive way forward. As I have read in a couple of other posts they seem to have trouble comprehending that it's your home not a care home and that what they can do is offer advice and make recommendations whereas they would prefer to issue edicts and be worshipped as Gods. They all seem to be fairly stupid and unable to think flexibly so you may have to do quite a lot of standing up for yourself. I find losing my temper with them is more effective than reasoning as they don't listen to reasoning alone. Remember you are the "expert by experience" of what's right for your circumstances. Start creating difficulties if the problem is delays. Refuse to provide care unless and until you get what you think you need. A good way to do this is to take the person you care for somewhere they'll have to deal with it and leave them to sort it out. Suddenly you'll be a priority as they have to deal with the situation one way or another. Don't worry that this will be held against you as you have every right to refuse to provide care and once they understand why you've taken action they'll be only to keen to help to solve their urgent problem of providing care for your caree, the easiest way being to resolve your differences in a more positive and responsive/cooperative way to restore the status quo.
Hi Ian

I am a carer for my 71 year old husband who had a stroke two years ago which left him unable to move his left arm and his left leg is very weak.

Like you, I have had had major problems with OTs over this time. They seem to work to a written script about what the disabled person should be able to do on their own. She wanted my husband to help cook meals in the kitchen which absolutely horrified me as to the danger involves. Then she said I should encourage him to walk around the garden on his own, while I went out shopping etc. The only time he has wandered off up the back garden, I turned my back for a minute and he had tried to climb some concrete steps and fell backwards. He was very lucky he landed on the grass and not on the concrete path.That OT got shown the door and told not to come back.

A other physio wanted him to stand, again in the kitchen, hold on to the work top and raise up on his toes one leg after the other. Sounds ok, until you reaijse that if he puts any weight on his left leg, it collapses and he falls over. I immediately stopped him from trying and told the physio that this was very dangerous and her reaction was that she didn't realise he couldn't weight bear on that leg. Do these people never read case notes!

Stick to your guns and don't let them walk over you. As previously told to me on this forum, it is your home not a care home.
Irene
I absolutely agree that its your home, not a care home. However I have to tell staff at times at hubbys nursing home, for example. that although he can eat his food without help, he cannot manage a yoghurt pot, as he only has the use of one hand. I have to request they tip into a pudding dish, which he is well able to manage. I buy some thing that holds his crockery steady on the table but it doesn't work with yoghurt/mousse pots etc. Common sense just does not come into the equasion on occasions
I quite agree. Every time Brian is in hospital, they bring him little packets of biscuits , then forget to open them for him, or little tubs of ice cream, again which he has difficulty with. One time a physio was hell bent in sending him home with a zimmer frame. How on earth did she think he would manage to use it with one hand? I get so sick of professionals not having a bit of common sense and these are the people who try to take charge.
Hey all
I'm reading this and thinking that NHS and SS should introduce the brand new concept of 'Person Centred Carer' where one named person knows all the medical, personal, financial, emotional, physical, social and family needs of the patient. Of course that person will be the acknowledged expert and recieve training and recompense for their very important role, and recognition of thier professional status.

Now who is best placed to fulfill this very important role? Why, us the unpaid,untrained, ignored carers of course :roll: :roll: :roll:

(P.S. Loved they way spell checker changed 'ignored carers of' to ignored carrots' :lol: )
Mrs A
What a common sense thought!!!
As far as the spell checker changing carer to carrot, wonder how many of us made to feel even more useless than a carrot,or the professionals think we are??
My husband's carers get so annoyed with the district nurses who come in every day. The carers are brilliant and tell me if they think there is anything wrong. When I pass this information on to the nurses, all I get is "oh, it's fine, don't worry". It makes the carers look so stupid and they are the ones who look after Brian, not the nurses. They are the ones who know if he is unsteady on his feet, or feeling dizzy or is passing blood in his catheter, which happens a lot. The nurse couldn't care less but are quick enough to interfere when something is done not to their liking.