'Nother New Gal

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi all,
I'm 57yo daughter caring for 88yo Mum with early/mid stage Alzheimer's Disease.
She was formally diagnosed May '06, but had been acting slightly oddly for about 2-3 yrs prior to that. As the onset coincided with the illness & subsequent death of her younger sister (and several months of us haring up the motorways visiting every weekend, which was also stressful of course) I thought at first that she was experiencing natural grief &/or depression as a result of that.

Now, although Mum's character & intelligent mind are still very much in place, her short-term memory is deteriorating rapidly. She can't retain anything new (whether important or not) but can remember things from her childhood - and mine! - with great clarity & detail. My own problem is trying to remember that fact! After 55 years having a Mum who was the fount of all knowledge, I am finding it very hard to adjust to having one who still looks like her, but at times needs to be treated with the sort of patience required for a fractious 4-year old child I didn't bargain for. And I haven't even had the 'practice' of bringing up kids anyway, which was my choice.
Image Just goes to show "Life is what happens while you were making other plans" (John Lennon)

Well, that'll do about me for now, looking forward to exploring this forum ...

Lynne
Hi Lynne,

Just a quick welcome to forum and hope to catch up more soon.

Rosemary
Hi Lynne

Welcome to the forum!

I also care for my Mum, she's 86 and blind due to glaucoma and AMD and wheelchair bound most of the time, her short-term memory is also deteriorating - more so in the last 12 months since she lost her sister who had dementia. She can tell me stuff from her war years but often asks me what day it is or if she's had a meal.

It can be heartbreaking to see her but like you we just take one day at a time.

Look forward to chatting with you soon

Take care

Paula xx
hi lynne welcome
i look after my mum as well.
she is wheelchair bound most of the time as well.
she has all sorts of problems but i have noticed in the last few months that she is getting a lot worse she can hardly move her feet at all now & she mones i am pulling her when realy i am holding her & she is wobbly.
Image Image Image Image
welcome to all members. Image
Hello Lynne

Just wanted to add my welcome to the others. Hope that find the site and forum helpful and I'm sure you'll find it supportive. Look forward to your posts.

Take care
Maryann x
Hi all,
"Life is what happens while you were making other plans" (John Lennon)

Lynne
welcome to the site!

im new as well and have already found it great to feel like im normal!

and i love your quote from lennon!