Managing husband when paralysed from waist down discharged.

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Formerly very fit 63 year old husband had DVT, then advanced colon cancer Feb 2016 which had spread to liver. Colostomy fitted since then after chemotherapy but tumor spread to thorassic spine and then all way up spine. Medical profession can do no more so looking at alternative therapies. Immediate issue is he cannot walk at all now or weight bear in hospital but obviously wants to come home asap Also will have a catheter and continue with stoma which I will manage. Have hospital bed at home and room ready and they will be delivering a hoist and say initially will need 2 carers 4 x a day to bed bath and use hoist to move him during day. I am fit 64 year old running home based business with a fit 28 year son at home at moment. Hope can find carers as soon as possible not easy as in rural location and quite a demand to have 4 visits x 2 a day - plus financially doable but money won't last long. We're all in absolute shock, turmoil and despair but doing our best to keep strong and arrange practical things. Advice on using a hoist (but just with one person so can dispense with the number of care visits) once he is established at home. Which hoist, what is feasible? Has anyone experienced anything like this - or can give me any tips or advice or just hope that we can sort things out and get a little joy back into our lives. We are lucky we have some money but it is certainly not inexhaustible.
Insist that the hospital do a NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment prior to discharge. Read up about the CHC Framework, Google will find it, if he qualifies all care is provided by the NHS, not Social SErvices, and is FREE. It's especially relevant where cancer is concerned.
Many thanks for your reply - however is this not means tested and will this not delay discharge?
This is a terrible time for you all, and you have my sympathies. I think it may be time to get in touch with your local hospice organisation.

Some years ago when my husband with terminal cancer was discharged from hospital after an 'unexpected collapse' (like yours, he'd been very 'fit' before his diagnosis - which just shows how hideously insidious cancer can be, getting to late stage without people realising....ghastly ghastly ghastly), we all wanted him to be 'home', whatever happened.

Our local hospice was wonderful. in cooperation with the GP surgery/district nurse, they provided Hospice at Home care, which made ALL the difference. This was initially set up by the discharging hospital, so that the first hospice nurse arrived just as the ambulance brought my husband home (which was actually quite late at night), and settled him for the night (my husband was pretty much bedbound by then)(though a hoist was not appropriate - it wasn't his limbs that kept him bedbound, but the brain mets 'closing him down'....)

I do know that hospices, being charities (the nursing care they provided was completely free - obviously I gave a good donation 'afterwards'.....), vary in what they offer, so your local one may not be that local, or, alas, provide hospice at home (we are more surburban than rural). DO TRY Marie Curie as well, as they are nationwide - I would imagine they work in conjunction with local hospice charities??

Dreadful though it is to say it, it now very much depends on what your husband's life expectancy is considered to be. Is he on ANY 'therapeutic' treatment - ie treatment that is 'anti-cancer' (containing or reducing tumours) or only 'palliative' (making him comfortable, but not attacking the cancer in any direct way). You mention 'alternative' therapies, and I do wish you well with them, but would issue the general warning that any that may 'exacerbate' in effect should be avoided, and certainly any that cost a lot of money.

I'm not being too cynical, and understand, only too well, how absolutely desperate we all become in these circumstances. I guess my own personal attitude would be that IF they 'do no harm and IF they are not 'cruel commercial cons' (ie, to make money out of desperately vulnerable people) and IF they give what can be the most precious thing of all, hope, then they can be justified on the 'well, we might as well give it a go'.....and who knows, who knows, who knows. Cancer is a strange and mysterious business, and doctors really don't understand it totally - and remember, too, in the end, all 'life expectancy' is based on 'general statistics' - some patients do worse than expected (my poor husband did), but others do better (as yours may).

I do wish you all the very best that may be......and please, I say this from my own experience, make the MOST the very, very MOST of what you do all still have as a family. This is the most precious time in the world for you......the most desperate, the most agonising, but the most precious.

Kindest wishes at such a stricken time for you, Jenny
No, not means, as an NHS service it is free, whereas Social Services are means tested. Very roughly, if you have over £46,000 roughly, then they will expect you to pay the full amount.
Do Google NHS Continuing Healthcare Framework. and look at the "Checklist Assessment".
Hi Further you suggestion of CHC assessment - could we get my husband home with the care package set up and then have a CHC assessment so as not to delay matters?
There doesn't need to be any delay, the CHC checklist assessment CAN be done quickly if the hospital have the will to do so, and if it means they will get a patient out quicker, usually the NHS pulls out all the stops to do it. Quite a different matter once he's home! No point in having an SSD care package which then needs to be changed to an NHS package, better to get it right to start with. There is a 48 hour fast track possibility with cHC under certain circumstances.