hi just new to this .carer to my grandparents

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
75 posts
Primary carer to my grandfather. Give care to granny as well.
Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum.
Would you like to tell us a bit more about your grandparents, their ages and what is wrong with them?
How old are you? Are you parents unable to help support your grandparents?
What kind of help do you get? Help from other family members? Help from professional care workers?

Are the care needs caused by physical frailty, or is there mental frailty (ie, dementia in some form) in the mix as well. If the latter, that makes things SO much more difficult alas.
bowlingbun wrote:Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum.
Would you like to tell us a bit more about your grandparents, their ages and what is wrong with them?
How old are you? Are you parents unable to help support your grandparents?
Hi. Ma grandmother is 84 confined to a hospital bed and she has no mobility.she refuses to use a hoist to be put on to wheelchair as her legs dont bend so rigid now so is being cared for in bed. Carers do personal care.my granda is 80 hes suffered strokes lately heart attack and arithritus..doesnt go out. I am 32 years of age myself. My mother has health issues herself and my father died when i was young
jenny lucas wrote:What kind of help do you get? Help from other family members? Help from professional care workers?

Are the care needs caused by physical frailty, or is there mental frailty (ie, dementia in some form) in the mix as well. If the latter, that makes things SO much more difficult alas.
Hi there.as my granny is confined to bed now shes 84 with no mobility she has carers doing her personal care 4 times a day. My granda is 80 he has suffered strokes heart attacks and cant walk much with arthritus. I do their cooking cleaning shopping laundry medication and general looking after. The only other help is the care workers coming in 4 time s a day to give personal care to my granny. I have a young brother and cousin that help at the weekend with going to shops etc for them
Stacey, has anyone told you that you can't be forced to care? Your grandparents need so much care, really it would be better if they moved into residential care, so you could have a life of your own and they had round the clock care from a team of nurses. Has anyone ever discussed this with you?
bowlingbun wrote:Stacey, has anyone told you that you can't be forced to care? Your grandparents need so much care, really it would be better if they moved into residential care, so you could have a life of your own and they had round the clock care from a team of nurses. Has anyone ever discussed this with you?
Hi..it has been discuss about residential care .my granny recently went in for respite for 2 weeks until her heating was fixed at home and she couldnt wait to go back to her own home and said she wouldnt go there permantely. I think because the two of them dont have no dementia issues have very sound mind they are strong willed that they will remain at home unless that changes with their health that it becomes unsuitable.they have also refused meals on wheels and any shopping or other tasks in my grannys care plan.she just has personal care .it would be a great deal easier if they incorapated all that in her care plan for myself
Are you left to do everything like cooking and cleaning then?
bowlingbun wrote:Are you left to do everything like cooking and cleaning then?
Yes i do all there food shopping make lunch sort their teas out so they can be reheated. Do cleaning.their laundry. Ring order collect medication.help granda with clothes .run errands. Go pay their bills .and be in hand for anything that happens.general duties about the house falls down to me as they are unable. Im there point of contact with gp nurses etc
Is it just assumed that you will do all this? Do they have a dishwasher, tumble dryer etc. to make your role easier? Are they both claiming Attendance Allowance? Do they pay you for all the care you provide? I'm really concerned that you are a young person who should be enjoying life. Do you have any life of your own at all? Sorry, I don't usually ask so many questions, I'm just concerned for you and your situation, trying to think of ways to help.
75 posts