Hi from a newbie

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I have been caring for my husband following a stroke for nearly 3 years now and although I am managing I got no help at all from Social Services despite filling in a huge form.My main concerns are getting respite (I can't leave him for more than 3 hours so can't go out for the day) and also if I was ill he could not cope on his own.Pat
Hello

Sorry to hear of your situation. Did you fill the form out when he initially had the stroke 3 years ago or more recently? You should be entitled to a Needs Assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for you from your local authority. Sadly you often have to chase these things. Start by calling the adult social services team at your council, you should be able to find their number online. Whether they help financially comes down to whether your husband has more than £23,500 in savings, if he doesn't they should pay for help that he needs. But regardless of the money they are still obliged to do the needs assessment. Do you get any benefits to help with the cost of some care?

Also look at carers organisations/charities in your area. Where I live the local Carers charity offer free respite care which you can save up to a maximum of 8 hours to take in one go so you can have a day out etc. This is not means tested. I think this website has a list of local organisations or ask your GP to put you in touch?

Good luck. x
As you are married there should be a choice of a financial assessment from Social Services either individually, or jointly, in which case if you have over about £46,000 you might have to pay all your costs, not £23,000 (some authorities may "accidentally " forget to tell you this!
Did you know that Attendance Allowance is not means tested? Be sure to apply, as respite is expensive.
Even if Social Services won't provide care, they should still help you find what you need. Does your husband have a Lifeline so that if you are out, and he has a problem, he could summon help if you were not available?
bowlingbun wrote:Did you know that Attendance Allowance is not means tested? Be sure to apply, as respite is expensive.
Even if Social Services won't provide care, they should still help you find what you need. Does your husband have a Lifeline so that if you are out, and he has a problem, he could summon help if you were not available?
I have very good neighbours who would always help but problem is he forgets how to use the phone so no not really.Thansk for the advice on ayyendance allowance will look into that.Pat
A Lifeline involves a special phone and a pendant to wear round the neck. He doesn't need to know how to use the phone, just remember the pendant. If he pushes the little button, it will automatically alert a controller. If he is near enough to the phone, it has a microphone in it so he can yell what's happened, otherwise the controller will call people on a list, or the ambulance, if appropriate.
If you are worried about falls, there are now fall alarms and other electronic devices which, I believe, can be linked to the Lifeline. Social Services or an Occupational Therapist should have full details.