returning to work following a bereavement/confused

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
I was my dads full time carer for the past 4 years: he was bed ridden with a brain tumour and also had dementia: this also allowed me to spend time with and help my mum who suffered a stroke last year then had heart surgery and she has recovered well. I received a small income from an individual budget received from the council for Dads' care which was enough for me to buy the food shopping and give me a little over for myself, my partner (retired & recovering from heart surgery) paid the rent and all other bills from savings.

My dad died 3 weeks ago and I went into organisation mode, arranging the funeral and legal things and getting all paperwork sorted for mum. The funeral was last week, mum has requested that I do not spend everyday there and told me to spend some time with my partner and take a well earned break.

I find myself wandering around the house feeling totally lost with no motivation and even less money (my partner would give me money if I asked, but that just is not me!) I think that I need to find a job, at least part time to make me feel useful again. The only thing I DO KNOW is that I DO NOT want to return to teaching.

I at at a loss as how to even write a CV and it all seems a bit much to be honest
Hi Sarah
I can imagine how empty you must be feeling after so much to sort out following your loss, and all the caring before hand.
If you rush into a job , it may solve the immediate financial pressure but won't solve the bereavement feelings and you may end up stuck in a rubbish job. Probably better to give yourself more time and if you have to work perhaps think of temping while you get your head together. If you just need to be doing something , then how about some voluntary work, this would give something to put on a cv plus talk about at interview, and may even lead to employment.
If you really don't want to return to your old career then take this opportunity to change.
I will be in the same boat when I loose Dad, I gave up my financial job which I would never want to return to and do some part time care work but I can't see myself doing it full time indefinitely. I have no idea what to do either when the time comes.
Hi Sarah, be kind to yourself. The way you are feeling is entirely normal, don't fight it, just allow yourself to meander around as your mind and body need to rebalance themselves, so give them a break. As a teacher you have many skills, maybe a halfway solution is to take on some private tuition to pay the bills and give you some financial breathing space? What subjects did you teach?
I taught Computer Science to university students, not a transferable skill to do home tutoring as my teaching qual. only allows me to teach adults and I am well out of it now because of the technology advancements in 4 years I just don't have the interest to learn anymore in addition to all the politics within education, it's almost corupt.
Hi Sara,
I agree that you should take some time to re-find yourself and recover a little from your bereavement.
Could you now count yourself as your Mum's carer? If you spent 35 hrs a week with her could you claim CA for that. If Mum needs 'care' that is. Or can Mum claim AA and pay you to 'help out'.
It seems a shame to completely dump your IT skills. There are still 'mature' computer 'virgins' out there who might appreciate some home tuition in the basics, or groups of people who would like to see what they can do with a computer when linked to their particular interest. How about charging for 'family research' or charging students to write up their recorded interviews for their research?
However if you want to dump any kind of teaching, what else are you or could you be interested in? History? Literature? Photography? Gardening? Do you feel that you would still be comfortable with elderly care?
First of all be kind to yourself and consolidate your relationship with your Mum, without Dad. Then look around and join in with a few clubs or societies. If you don't like it, then don't carry on. Build gradually and don't forget to give your partner some attention!
Elaine