Poor advice given by Social Workers

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
My father has just gone in to care with dementia.
I had early retirement in 2004 just after my mother passed away and I inherited half my parental home in Birmingham as my parents were tenants in common and my mother's half was willed to me.
I worked in London and I am widowed.
My house in London was sold and I moved in with Dad as an owner occupier.
A social worker did a financial assessment and realised Dad had little money in cash terms and told me the house would have to be sold and the proceeds divided.
I knew this was incorrect because:

a) I am over 60
b) I am an owner occupier with a right to occupy the house ( Age Concern Factsheet 38 )
c ) I was his carer for nearly 4 years.

The Social Worker also tried to put pressure on me to pay saying my father was dangerous and if he got back on the streets he could go and hurt a child or worse because of his strength.
I also knew about NHS funding and insisted that an assessment was carried out and it was granted mainly as my father had serious behaviour problems as he had attacked 3 nurses.
What concerns me is how many people have sold their houses as a result of incorrect advice being given by the Social Worker.

Brian
It's so important to share things like this, because the social workers clearly won't! After all, people with dementia now will have been around when the Welfare State came into being in 1948. They have paid National Insurance for all their working lives in most cases, so they have earned the right to be helped when they need it. Others may not have done. Need I say more?!
Hi bowlingbun

Unfortunately councils have less money to spend and Social Workers are not giving the full information with regard to the service user's rights.
Dad suggested I joined him in his house as I half owned it anyway and the possibility of Dad having to go in to care came to mind at that time so I did check what the legal situation would have been if this happened as I did not want to go from being a home owner to having to rent for example so I was mainly prepared for this.
I had studied law for my job to some extent but not in relation to care fees.
I don't think most people would have made these enquiries at the point I did and they would have been in a panic at that time.
After I got NHS funding for Dad the Social Worker came to me and said Dad will now cost the NHS a lot of money.
As you said Dad has paid his National Insurance and the time has come when care is needed so it is no different to say claiming on an insurance policy if your house catches fire.
His older brother has pointed out that all of his 5 siblings have paid tax and NI and non of them have needed care and his brother is now the only one now alive so Dad's care has been paid for by the family anyway.
I have asked the care home nurse what are the chances of Dad being alive this time next year and she rates them as very slim.
She also said I was not a son who was just after inheritance as she had noticed Dad had everything he needed within a day of him entering the home. She said nobody comes in with everything.

Brian
As a taxpayer I must say I disagree with the children getting any money from the parents estate until after all care fees have been paid.
Also no ownership of the house should pass to the children until both parents have passed away and if the mother / father chooses to get married again the surviving parent should have the right to will the house to the new spouse and if that spouse has to go in to care then the proceeds of the estates of both parents should be liable for that spouses care.

Another thing if a parent has to go in to care the resources of the children should be taken in to account.
If they live in a 5 bedroom property for example they should be made to downsize to a 2 bedroom property if there are only 2 persons in the house and the surplus proceeds used for the parents care.
Also all savings over £50,000 belonging to the children should be taken for their parents care.

Sandra
So Sandra

What is the point of people building up wealth to have a decent retirement if it is all could to be taken for the parents care?.
Also if one parent dies why should that parents wealth not be willed direct to the children.
The main reason my mother willed her half of the house to me was because she did not want her wealth to go to another family.

Brian
Sandra, I don't think there's ever been a posting which I disagreed with more. If both your parents were elderly, frail, unable to care for themselves any longer, could you pay for their nursing home care at £1,000 per week for a year? If the answer to that is "Yes" then you are a VERY lucky person. I certainly couldn't. The whole concept of th Welfare State would be abandoned by you. Not everyone gets ill in their old age. Some do, but it's a lottery. We all contribute into the system in the hope that we will never need to use it, but sadly some of us do need to, in the same way that we need to use schools, libraries and hospitals. I have lived in a country where there was an "underclass" and it's not nice. So I for one would stick up for the Welfare State, it's not perfect, and never can be. But at least we know that basic needs will be met. The way to judge a society is to look at how it treats the most vulnerable.
Sandra - I have to ask
Are you actually a carer?
Are you willing to loose all your own savings and your home to fund a relative?
Hi Sandra

How would savings be defined?.
Some people I worked with paid a lot in to the pension scheme. They have more income but not too much in a cash form.
Also how would this be enforced if 1 of the offspring is abroad and only the offspring doing the caring is in the UK.
Would the caring offspring be liable for all of the fees?.

Brian
Sorry you hang wrong advice good job really you had some Insite to things we been lucky so far because social worker done all he can and for husbands dad who has dementia we have had correct information and so far all be good he passed his nursing and continuing of health care assessment so he on to next stage money was joint with my mother inlaw and she does not have to sell her home which is one less worry
Im really glad to hear that tracie Image