Inheritance

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
115 posts
Sandra on reading this thread, and remembering the other one, may I ask, "Are you the woman who expected to inherit and push the man's offspring out?"

Sorry Crocus I posted before I noticed your reply
Hi Sandra

Just because somebody lives in a house does not mean they own it 100%.
It may be rented, have a mortgage on it, have an equity release charge on it as well as the children owning part of it.
You can not will away what you don't own and even if somebody wills a house to you the will can be revoked.
Offspring do return to parental homes for various reasons in my case through being widowed.
Since returning to the house I have spent money on it and Dad.
I am now relying on the house. I certainly could not buy back my house in London.
Dad would have not been able to keep this house if my money had not been coming in.

Brian
Apart from exceptional circumstances why on earth would any parent not want to help their children in life, and, quite rightly, this includes leaving property to them.
My house is to be split 50/50 between my son and daughter, the three of us have been through so much together, and it has been a struggle for them as well as me, but they are always there for me come what may.

Phoebe xx
It seems to me that, as happens so much with legal questions, what is actually 'right' as opposed to 'lawful' depends on the characters involved.

Whereas one could easily see that a 'new girlfriend/boyfriend' of a widowed person could just be a plain and simple golddigger out to get what they can from their new partner, and out to take away their partner's children's inheritance, so one can also see that a new partner could actually sometimes be the only person to care tuppance for the widowed person, whose children do nothing for him, and are just waiting for him to peg out so they can get his property.....

However, in terms of legality, there can be other complications when a new partner moves into the parental home. Proprietary estoppel concerns the acquisitions of rights by the new partner and can arise if, so I understand (highly imperfectly - do please check this out people if you are worried about it for yourselves!), the new partner is given assurances by the home owner that they will inherit or get some or all title to it, and also they may acquire such rights simply by contributing to the upkeep of the house, or its improvement, either by work or putting money into the property.

I think the long and the short of it is that if your widowed parent takes up with a new partner, to be VERY wary of what they are up to, and what they might be entitled to - or think they are entitled to!

Whereas, by and large, I think personally speaking that children should 'automatically' inherit their parent's property, if they haven't been good children to their parent, then why should the parent take any regard of them? I guess, on the whole, none of us should assume we are going to inherit from our parents, but then I also guesss that the reverse of that is that if we are not going to inherit, why should we go out of our way to look after our parents?? Cuts both ways, really!

One thing really does get my goat - if one child has done all the backbreaking, souldestroying work of caring, and then the other child whose done sod all turns up at the funeral to collect their share, they can go stuff!
Jenny you said ''One thing really does get my goat - if one child has done all the backbreaking, souldestroying work of caring, and then the other child whose done sod all turns up at the funeral to collect their share, they can go stuff!''

I have 2 daughters and my estate is willed half and half to them.
I do know of a case where one of the offspring being given early retirement and the other not so the one who had early retirement did most of the caring.
If that happens in my case I would discuss the idea of the one doing the caring getting a bigger share if the estate.
I would hope if I was not capable of altering the will the one who had done little caring would give the other some money.

Brian
115 posts