I don't think this is true.

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... urden.html

I must say in our family the men seem to outlive the women and as it has worked out I am sure there have been more male carers over the last 50 years.
My father did a lot of caring for both my mother and mother in law along with myself.
What we did resent near the end my in laws relatives came round to try and get my mother in law to leave their estate to them and it did upset my mother in law.
She had not seen them for years and did not recognise some of them to the extent she thought they were from my side of the family.
They said that their estate should be left to blood records as my wife had passed away and would not accept their granddaughters were blood relatives.
I did most of the caring for my father.

I did know somebody who cared for her mother and the will was half and half between her brother and herself.
When the end came the brother asked things like why she had used her mother's money towards car expenses etc or for meals in a café.
The answer was the daughter was continuously having to take the mother to hospitals etc some 16 miles away and when they had been in hospital for say 5 hours the daughter did not feel like cooking and why should the mother not have the occasional meal out.
The daughter was glad she kept every receipt.

Brian
It's definitely true, the old cynical saying "Where there's a will there's a relative!"

Amazing how the vultures gather....(or perhaps not that amazing...)
I recognise the situation although I don't have brothers. As the single daughter I was the one who was available. My sister helicoptered in...and straight out again.
Victorian families traditionally kept the daughter who was plainest, least attractive (and therefore least likely to marry!)(unless provided with a dowry...) to be their companion and carer. It was her Task, and she Was Not To Complain About It.....

Some families went further. I have a widowed great-great-grandmother (or thereabouts!) who kept ALL her five daughters at home, refusing to provide them with any dowry, and refusing to let them accept any proposals of marriage. God knows why, presumably because she was a controlling selfish old cow (possibly, to be kinder, she was so personally Horrified by the Act of Procreation that she wanted to spare her daughters that Hideous Ordeal!). One daughter finally got desperate, and eloped, and was Cast Out of the Family!

My own MIL (for whom I am now the carer) was raised by a mother whose husband was in the merchant navy, and so very seldom around, and my MIL's Clear Duty as a young woman was to stay home and be the companion and handmaiden of her demanding mother. Luckily for MIL, the war came just in the nick of time, and she bolted down to the recruitment office and joined up. Her mother stormed down in her trail and Demanded her daughter be released immediately so she could carry on her Duties of Companionship and Handmaiding - luckily she was told the signing up was irreversible, and so my MIL escaped and had a fabulous war travelling all over the place and finally getting a life of her own.....