Former carer - six years later!

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
Hi Everyone. It has been a while since I have been on this site. I lost my Dad, for whom I was a full-time carer for 18 months, in June 2008. I can't believe it has been nearly six years. Since then, I have done quite a bit of work for local carers groups on a voluntary basis and have been a member of the local Carers Partnership Board for close on 3 years. I also trained as a gateway assessor for the CAB and help direct people towards appropriate information and advice when they first contact the bureau. I am often amazed by the number of people I come across who do not identify themselves as carers when they clearly are, they tend to say "Well, I just look after........." and don't know there is help available for them. I do find it satisfying to be able to point them in the direction of some help and support.

All this is very satisfying, but I find myself at something of a loss at the moment. Since my caring duties ended, I have found it difficult to find sustained, paid work. I was nearly 50 when Dad died and was lucky to find some work within a few weeks, but my job was made redundant a few months later due to the recession taking hold in early 2009. Since then I have had a series of temp jobs and fixed-term contracts, the most recent one ending about a month ago. I really don't know what I am going to do next and to be honest I am getting a bit fed up of having to re-invent myself every few months. Has anyone else found themselves in this position?

Cheers

Denise
Hi Dee, no advice. But did want to say welcome back. You won't remember me as I joined after you left.

Melly1
Thanks Melly! I will try and drop by more frequently.