Former Carer, Made Homeless

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
Ive not been on here in ages, My name is Maurice and i provided 24/7 care for over 4 years to my dear old dad.

Until the 16th of October 2012 when he passed away at the age of 81, I lived with my dad in a housing association sheltered appartment scheme, However when he passed away i was given 3 weeks notice to vacate because im only 39 and the scheme is for 55+ year olds.

I managed to move in with a friend of the family for a while, then on the 20th of December they asked me to leave because of their own health issues (i cant and wont go into detail pubicly out of respect for this individual).

I now find myself living in a homeless shelter in Sheffield, Surrounded by alcoholics and drug users!, How on earth my life has come to this i will never know!.

My carers allowance and income support have now ceased and im living on £40.20 a week, £18.90 of which i have to pay to live in this hell hole!.

I worked full time until 4 years ago, I now find myself, pennyless, homeless and in a spiraling deppressive mind set!.

Is this how the government look after former carers who saved them ££££££££ of pounds ?.

HELP!!!!!
Ive not been on here in ages, My name is Maurice and i provided 24/7 care for over 4 years to my dear old dad.

Until the 16th of October 2012 when he passed away at the age of 81, I lived with my dad in a housing association sheltered appartment scheme, However when he passed away i was given 3 weeks notice to vacate because im only 39 and the scheme is for 55+ year olds.

I managed to move in with a friend of the family for a while, then on the 20th of December they asked me to leave because of their own health issues (i cant and wont go into detail pubicly out of respect for this individual).

I now find myself living in a homeless shelter in Sheffield, Surrounded by alcoholics and drug users!, How on earth my life has come to this i will never know!.

My carers allowance and income support have now ceased and im living on £40.20 a week, £18.90 of which i have to pay to live in this hell hole!.

I worked full time until 4 years ago, I now find myself, pennyless, homeless and in a spiraling deppressive mind set!.

Is this how the government look after former carers who saved them ££££££££ of pounds ?.

HELP!!!!!
Hi Maurice God what an awful time you have had, please accept my deepest sympathy on the death of your dear dad.

I can't believe something like this could happen in the 21st century Image

Firstly,I would go to your nearest CAB ( these are often found in librarys, our CAB is). Also, I would go back to the council that evicted you from your home you shared with your dad and get yourself on the housing list (if you haven't done that already) also please, please see your GP,make an appointment straight away and tell the GP what has happenend to you and your sudden change in circumstances which, appears to be affecting your mental health.

It's absolutley shocking that a carer should be treated in this way, I feel so angry for you. Do have any other family that could advise and support you, brothers,sisiters, aunts,uncle or cousins, just to give you some much needed help, that you so desperatley need?

Please take care of your self and keep us updated, if you can.

With my very best wishes RRB
Maurice - i couldnt believe my eyes when i read your post. Its heartbreaking and shocking. I can only echo what RRB has said.

Please stick around on the forum, at least we will give you some virtual support.

Take care, India.x
Thankyou for your advice and kind words.

I suffered a mental breakdown on the 20th of december and presented myself at A&E in Sheffield, After a full mental health assesment i was placed in a mental health unit, I was then discharged from there on the 24th after being told i was "suffering from grief"!!!!.

So i then took myself to the local housing homeless section who "kindly" found me a bed where i still remain to this day!.

Mylife has ended, i cared for mum and dad for over 15 years, i gave up a well paid job and spent every penny i had caring for them both, i now have nothing and nobody left in this world.
I'm so sorry, and I'm ashamed too that in this day and age you should be treated this way, in this day and age. There seem to be an increasing number of people here with housing related issues, I just wish there was a better way of dealing with this sort of thing.
You have the people here. I know we are only virtual but we are here to help and listen/read.

I cant imagine what your going through, indeed it must be hell.

Take care India.x
I can't offer any advice,but so sad to read this,I hope you are able to get somewhere to live soon.
How dreadful to have to go through this, at a time when you have the sadness of berevement in your heart,too.Condolences to you, on the death of your Dad.x
Thankyou for your advice and kind words.

I suffered a mental breakdown on the 20th of december and presented myself at A&E in Sheffield, After a full mental health assesment i was placed in a mental health unit, I was then discharged from there on the 24th after being told i was "suffering from grief"!!!!.

So i then took myself to the local housing homeless section who "kindly" found me a bed where i still remain to this day!.

Mylife has ended, i cared for mum and dad for over 15 years, i gave up a well paid job and spent every penny i had caring for them both, i now have nothing and nobody left in this world.
What a dreadful story. Grief is undoubtedly part of it, but by no means the whole and it sounds as if its spiralling into depression. Have you been started on any treatment - anti depressants or counselling? Once your mood lifts you may be able to start working your way out of this terrible maze.
Thankyou all again for your replies...

The simple truth is that i have been used by social services as a "Cheap Option", According to this website i was entitled to a carers review by social services to assess MY needs aswell, In all honesty it was always a fight to even get a social worker to come and see dad for his yearly review, and due to cut backs i fell even further down their list of priorities!.

If i sound angry then im sorry but i really am very angry, I have been made homeless by the same system that is supposed to support people!.

As for being depressed due to the loss of my dear old dad, well at the moment grief is the least of my worries and i simply refuse to start popping happy tablets to make the days a little more bareable, when you have an alcoholic in the room next door who spends all night singing Bob Marley's greatest hits, and a heroin addict 3 doors down who the police call to see every couple of days, you kinda need your wits about you!.

I have spent years looking after the people i loved with all my heart, and i would never change a single day of it, But when i need help and support im thrown to the wolves in a system that only caters for those who are at times beyond real help!.
I'm sure that everyone reading your post feels as appalled as I do, but that, in itself, isn't going to make things better. I'm also feeling that you now need to start building a new life for yourself. Have you been to Citizen's Advice? Have you worked out your priorities for the next three months, for example? Is there any chance you could resume the sort of work you did before? Is there anything which you would like to do in the future? Do you want to stay in the same area, or move to a new one? Whilst we don't (sadly) have any magic wands, there are lots of people here who have an enormous wealth of knowledge, some have also been in dire straights themselves, and might like to pass on things which might be useful. For example, I've used Freecycle to get things I wanted for free, and give away things I don't need any more. Please don't bite my head off for making suggestions which might be inappropriate or apparently clumsy, it's only by working out what you do and don't want that you will gradually start moving forward.