First Christmas without Dad.

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
2013 has gone by very quickly. In fact the last 6 years have.
I have become a granddad 4 times over and Dad has died.
At least he met his great granddaughters.
We have concluded the family name is doomed as there have been no boys in the wider family for over 40 years.
Thinking back Dad was having a few problems last Christmas but at that point we put it down to age.
Dad is still being missed by the family including Dougal our dog.
Oddly enough 2 Christmas cards came for Dad today from his workmates. I don't have an address to tell them about Dad.
I am in contact with 3 of his workmates but they don't have an address for the other 2.
I have got Dad's mobile phone on pre pay and still getting the odd call for him.
We have now got to move on now and accept I am the oldest member of the immediate family. Not by much however as the other grandparents are only 3 and 5 months younger.
There are members of the wider family 30 years older.
Oddly my granddaughters still regard Dad as being the granddad of the family. People say I look nothing like my age. Nurses often ask my birth date twice to check they have the correct record.
We will have a drink to Dad on Christmas day and various other departed relatives and dogs.
Dougal will have a drink of tea at the same time. We will raise his bowl.

Brian
Wishing you all you wish for yourself Brian for the new year.

Nothing is more certain than change, is it? Image
Brian, my thoughts will be with you this Christmas.
The first Christmas is always the worst
(((hugs))) to you and (((pats))) for Dougal
Dad is still being missed by the family including Dougal our dog.
... We will have a drink to Dad on Christmas day and various other departed relatives and dogs... Dougal will have a drink of tea at the same time. We will raise his bowl.

Brian
Ah, that sounds like a good idea Brian. Dougal sounds adorable, I'm sure he's a comfort to you.
Hi SheWolf

The dogs belong to all of the members of the family according to my granddaughters. We just look after 1 and all the family enjoys them.
Oddly enough when I visit my daughters / granddaughters Dougal deserts me and goes and plays with my granddaughters and their dog brings its toys for me to play with.
About half an hour later they play with each other.
I am sure Dad would have liked all of the dogs at his funeral but I think there was too much risk of disruption.
Dougal represented all of them. We had a little bark at the start and another when they drew the curtain. We think he was saying goodbye to Dad.
Our previous dog gave Mum a woof when they drew the curtain.
Both dogs stood to attention for all of the services and they looked towards the minister as if they were taking in what he was saying.
The funeral directors and the ministers liked both dogs.

Brian
Thinking of you at christmas time
Hello Brian ....as others have said the first Christmas is always the most difficult. The year my Mum passed away I felt like I was an orphan even at my age and it still seems rather odd that apart from an aunt who I rarely, if ever see, there is no one else now to find out answers to the silly questions that pop up about the past!

Being an animal lover I think it was a lovely thing to have the family dog at the funeral. We have always thought that our dogs are more aware of things than we are and so I am not surprised that they were watching throughout the service.

Hope Christmas becomes a time for happy memories....

Bell x