Working and claiming carers allowance

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi, newbie here so I apologise if this is a question that's been asked a million times before!

I am my wifes carer and considering leaving full time employment to care for her properly. I understand I can earn approx. £110 per week and still claim CA but I need to know would this amount then be taken off any Universal Credit claim? Need to work out, if I do quit work, how will we be financially. The stress of trying to work out which is the best way to jump is confusing me as far as benefit calculations are concerned! Any advice is gratefull received.

Thanks
Hello David and welcome to the forum :)

The threshold for Carers Allowance has just been increased to £116 per week (wow!); I suggest that you check out the Carers UK Factsheet on CA:

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance

It contains various examples of how to calculate the effect of CA on other benefits and what you can legitimately deduct to bring any excess earnings within the threshold (payments to a private pension plan etc).

However I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Hi David
Very sensible to check out the financial situation but do remember there are other considerations too such as the loss of status and socialization that not working brings. Many carers on here have left work then regretted it after a few months or years. Its also then nigh on impossible to get back into work should things change.
A mid way option could perhaps be part time working.
Do try to consider every angle and read lots of the threads about this subject
Kr
MrsA