WFI while claiming carers

For information and discussion about benefits
I am a new carer and also claiming k!income support. An adviser from the jobcentre rang and said I am to have an interview every 4 weeks. I have told her I am not looking for work as I am a carer for 35+ hours a week but she insisted that she was right. Having looked into this further it seems I should not be called for interview for 3 years. Can I be santioned if I just refuse to go?
If you ring/email the CUK helpline they will be able to give you details of the relevant rules, to give to the Job Centre. You are not the first person here to have had this problem. Caused by poorly trained staff and a poor computer system.
Thank you, I did email carers uk but have no reply as yet, I don't want to have a go at the adviser without knowing if I am correct.
Until you hear back from our Adviceline team this may help

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... d-activity
Welcome Linda,
Linda_170412 wrote:I am a new carer and also claiming k!income support. An adviser from the jobcentre rang and said I am to have an interview every 4 weeks. I have told her I am not looking for work as I am a carer for 35+ hours a week but she insisted that she was right. Having looked into this further it seems I should not be called for interview for 3 years. Can I be santioned if I just refuse to go?
DWP employees (not all, but many) be it through ignorance and disregard of their own rules, a misguided determination to meet illegal targets which they'd have you believe do not exist or a combination of both have a solid track record of unscrupulous misconduct towards vulnerable claimants usually out of fear of ending up the other side of the desk.

This person is being pretty insensitive of your situation and more to the point they are wrong.
CA should exempt you from mandatory WFI's, its the whole point of the pre-requisites in place when you initially apply. The IS you receive is merely a top up and to qualify you for basic services you can't get under CA (health etc)

Keep a cool head don't let them wind you up as they count on the emotional response because lord knows a table spoon has enough tact to run circles around the average "adviser" like the one you've gone.

What bothers me is while we do have some wonderful and knowledgable posters on this board and others willing and able to share their experiences with other users, the whole problem is the manner in which claimants are having to seek out what should by definition be readily available information in this manner to begin with.

Wish you the best of luck and hope you stick around.
Thanks for reply. I have found lots of info on line about this and it seems i am right,WFI every 3 years. i am still waiting to hear back from CUK to confirm this which is a bit dissapointing as its been well over a week since i emailed them. Is it normal to wait this long for a reply?
Linda_170412 wrote:Thanks for reply. I have found lots of info on line about this and it seems i am right,WFI every 3 years. i am still waiting to hear back from CUK to confirm this which is a bit dissapointing as its been well over a week since i emailed them. Is it normal to wait this long for a reply?
they do try to get back to you within 3-5 working days Linda. Perhaps the Bank Holiday weekend has slowed their response time :( I'll highlight your comment to Admin and see if they can chase it up for you.
Hi Linda

I understand from Admin that you emailed the Forum email address with your query rather than the Adviceline ? They have forwarded your email to the Adviceline so I hope you will hear fro m them shortly.

For your information (should you need it in the future) the Adviceline's contact details are:
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
Email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.