Vehicle tax exemption. Would I commit fraud?

For information and discussion about benefits
Good morning.
It appears that my wife/I (as nominated driver and keeper) may be able to get 100% Road Tax relief on our vehicle as she has 12 points on Mobility part of her PIP. The rule states that the vehicle must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use. (Fair enough)
However, that does not mean that my wife has to be in the vehicle every time it is on the road. Though my wife may not be in it when I go shopping sometimes, the shopping is (also) for her benefit. I have no separate personal social life and I do not work so my wife is otherwise always with me when I am driving, getting out and about.
However, I also read that a person visited a qualified disabled person who had been admitted to hospital (as my wife has been a few times during the course of her treatment) and that person was held to be committing fraud as his visit was not for the entitled person's benefit.
Is this true? Can this be so?
Surely a visit to a loved qualified person in hospital is for that person's personal needs?
Can anyone give me evidence to support this (or not) please.
Thank you.
I had a blue badge for a few years, until I had two knee replacements, can't find what I wanted online this morning to confirm. However I'm sure if your wife is ill and you are visiting her in hospital, that would be fine. However if you were using it to go to work every day, it would be wrong. It's a good saving, go for it.
You may need to get her name put on the registration certificate as the Registered Keeper?
Mick
All the opinions on this forum are purely that, personal opinions.
On legal issues I'd suggest getting legal advice.
Kr
MrsA
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Why not just ask DVLA directly, they don't bite! When you are granted the free tax they send you a leaflet of what you can and cannot use it for anyway.
Colin_1705 wrote:You may need to get her name put on the registration certificate as the Registered Keeper?
Thank you but I believe this is not necessary. The nominated driver (me) can be the registered keeper.
bowlingbun wrote:I had a blue badge for a few years, until I had two knee replacements, can't find what I wanted online this morning to confirm. However I'm sure if your wife is ill and you are visiting her in hospital, that would be fine. However if you were using it to go to work every day, it would be wrong. It's a good saving, go for it.
Thank you but to me Blue Badge and Tax Relief are separate issues.
bowlingbun wrote:Why not just ask DVLA directly, they don't bite! When you are granted the free tax they send you a leaflet of what you can and cannot use it for anyway.
Thank you but I was asking for evidence, albeit anecdotal.
susieq wrote:I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Thank you, yes, I just wanted to 'throw this open' for anecdotal evidence. Thanks.