Council tax benefit and pip

For information and discussion about benefits
I am registered disabled and was in receipt of DLA which is is now as PIP.
Since becoming of pensioner age my husband does not get careers allowance but but has a bit added to pension credit because of this.
Our question is a friend has been staying with us on and off because of difficulties in her life ( she is not on benefits), she does not contribute towards any household costs. We get full council tax benefit and have not mentioned her staying as in the past when family members were over 18 and were still at home we were told it would not affect the housing benefit/ council tax benefit as I was in receipt of DLA. I had this confirmed on a few occasions by the council at the time. Does anyone know if this is still the case? As I don't want to be in trouble and have to pay money we can't afford
Hello Karen

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.