Overpayment??

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm just after a little advice as the phone lines are closed until tomorrow morning and I am stressing out.

So I got my first payment today for carers, I also got what I assumed was a back payment too but have just come home to find a letter saying I'm not entitled to arrears as my partner (who I care for) is claiming ESA so if that's the case what's the money I got paid today? I had to give up work recently so things have been tight and that money today has basically gone already due to bills, food, fuel etc I'm now terrified they will want it back and I don't have it.

Could it be from something else? Like I say I am new to this and my partner can't work the letter out either.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Gemma
Do they say what the amount is?
I've been paid £616 they say on the letter that ESA paid to my partner for a certain period is £434 and another is £752 taking it to £1,187 therefore my total due is £0.00 yet I've had a payment in my bank.
Hello Gemma Anne

Sorry but I can't be of much help ! It really would be much better for you to wait until tomorrow and contact the Adviceline team - they are the experts and will be able to advise you
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

Also have a read of the Carers UK fact sheet on Carers Allowance, (here: http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance), especially the part headed "Carer’s Allowance and other benefits". Does your partner's claim for ESA include yourself ? If so then I think that is why you can't claim Carers Allowance (BUT I must stress that I'm no expert on benefits and that is only my take on the 'overlapping benefits' rule).

IF you have been overpaid the DWP won't expect you to repay the amount immediately and I'm sure that they can arrange for you to pay it back in instalments.
Thank you, I shall call them tomorrow and try not to stress out about it until then x
Stop worrying, they have probably phrased the letter very confusingly and badly, I guess?