Carers allowance stopped without warning

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi. I am new to the forum. This is my first post. Has anyone else had their carers allowance stopped? Mine stopped in July without any warning. I am self employed and run a small catering business from home. It hardly makes any profit and I don't reach the £116 limit, but I do have to supply the DWP with my paperwork, which I did at the end of June. When I realised my CA stopped, I contacted them and I was told that my accounts were with the decision team. So, no decision had been made but they'd suspended my claim anyway. Fortunately, the person I spoke to on this occasion used her initiative and agreed to pay my July benefit. However, I've had nothing for August and now we're into September. I phoned again last Wednesday and I was just fobbed off. Despite telling them I had no money and incurring bank charges for being overdrawn, they refused to make an interim payment and said that the person who did this before was wrong to have done so. All they said they would do is mark it as urgent but they couldn't say how long it would take. She then just put the phone down. During the conversation she seemed to imply that due to the large volume of paperwork at this time of year when everyone who is self employed and claiming CA sends in their accounts, they suspend everyones claim to avoid overpayment.
Could this really be correct or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do.
I think it's outrageous that Carers are treated with such disrespect.
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
susieq wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:02 am
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Thanks susieq. Will do. x