Can I claim jobseekers while looking after mum?

For information and discussion about benefits
The CAB said today I could claim jobseekers but talking to someone in the village she doubts it. I am mums full time carer (she has dementia and alzheimers) we have no carers but dad may have to do more looking after her. Would I be able to claim to look for work at home or part time work?
Carers UK has a brilliant helpline. If you look at the top left of this page and click on the lines where it says "Quick links" a new menu with lots of information comes up. Click where it says something like "Financial Information" and you'll find lots of info. If you receive Carers Allowance you will NOT be required to look for work. Does mum receive Attendance Allowance? Did you know that people with dementia can claim exemption from Council Tax? How old is mum? How severe is her illness?
Have a look at other replies on the forum from people caring for someone with dementia.
Mum doesn't get attendance allowance but we will claim it soon, she is 68. I don't get carers allowance only carers credit because I've not been in the country long enough and we have applied for council tax benefits.
Just to be clear, the exemption for mum is based on her "severe mental impairment", it is NOT a benefit, but an exemption. That may sound picky, but it's important to realise that there is a difference.
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.

Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.
Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Thanks for that advice susieq, I'll definitely contact them. It occurred to me that while I am eligible for jobseekers in practice, in reality it would be hard to do. My dad flies to France once a month to check on the house, cut the grass etc and leaves me on my own with mum. This means I would be unable to work on those days or have to put mum into daycare (which dad would not like). I have a feeling his stubbonness with care will mean eventually mum will be sectioned and put in a home anyway, something he does not want.
Definitely contact the CUK helpline, they know all the complexities of the benefit system, better than DWP staff. As a result, the helpline made me £50 a week better off some years ago. If there is any possibility of resolving your unique situation, they will know what it is.
Can your father not claim Carer's Allowance for looking after your mum (even if it's you doing most of the actual caring?) The important thing is getting the money to ease your life a bit!

I do think it's rich your dad 'forbidding' your mum to go into daycare when he's not there! Since it's you having to do the entire looking after in those circumstances, it should be YOUR decision, not his!

You do need to do everything and anything that can 'take down' the care burden that your mum's condition is creating on both you and your father. And from your mum's point of view, day care could be very enjoyable! The mental stimulation she'll get from company, and the activities there, could be very helpful to her in countering or mitigating her dementia.

What other help are you getting, eg, by way of care-workers coming in? Do NOT let your father refuse this - and if you have arrived to 'look after them both' it is, as I say, YOUR call. You could easily just leave again.....so far better to get in some help now, that makes it easier on ALL of you, that your dad stubbornly 'soldier on' because he doesn't 'approve' or whatever of outside help.....

As for what is or isn't a benefit, all I would say is that since the UK government seems to think that the OAP state pension is a 'benefit' despite the fact that we have PAID for it already for ourselves, says it all to me. The state pension is NOT NOT NOT a 'benefit!. A 'benefit' is something we have NOT paid for! Grrrrrrrrrrr. (The government calls it a benefit to try and make us feel 'grateful'.....not to mention 'scroungers'.......!)